Sign in to follow this  
Darksideswine

Bolt on/Screw on resin spikes?

Is there such a thing as bolt on or screw on resin parts for the bucket. I want bolt on but I've heard the aluminum ones make the helmet too heavy. is there a resin screw on alternative?

Not sure if there are any resin screw ones out there but I suggest you take a normal resin one, drill a hole in the end and epoxy resin a nylon bolt in. I wouldn't recommend a metal bolt in case of any reaction between the resin and metal.

I've aluminium ones and, yes, they're damn heavy and all at the front so you get neck ache trying to hold your head up.

Gee...I just screwed the resin ones onto my bucket. Drill a pilot hole on the resin spike, and use a short wood screw to secure it to the bucket....

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, Arcturus1020 said:

Gee...I just screwed the resin ones onto my bucket. Drill a pilot hole on the resin spike, and use a short wood screw to secure it to the bucket....

I've done that in the past and cracked the resin hence drilling and gluing a bolt in. Then again I may have just been unlucky, twice ;)

I've done 5 or 6 of these. I always drill a pilot hole and set them with screws.

On 1/5/2018 at 1:47 PM, thebrighton said:

I've done that in the past and cracked the resin hence drilling and gluing a bolt in. Then again I may have just been unlucky, twice ;)

You may be using too large of a bit or going too fast.... <shrugs> Or maybe the resin was just old and brittle....

All is well, i'm going to get a set from DarthHair. That way i don't have to worry about painting them or breaking them trying to make pilot holes.