Sign in to follow this  
zv288bot

ANH Bantha Rider Tusken WIP

Hello all, long time lurker, 2nd time builder. (I have a build thread for my daughter's Jawa on here a year or so ago). Any how... I recently purchased a mask kit from Jawachopshop and decided to make my way officially into the detachment. I really like the look of the Bantha Rider so I am gonna head into that direction with this build. I will try my best to document as much of the build as possible. I've checked out a bunch of build threads as well as looked at a couple of kits in my garrison to get some ideas but of course feedback from you all would be fabulous. Here is the famous SBB (small brown box) day!

uleliek.jpg

NUUdKtL.jpg

And I am done! How's it look?

XfPcbOF.jpg

So, this kit only contained the front mask. I went with a light weight hard hat that I found for $5 bucks at a thrift store. I also purchased the last 3 yards Joann's had of Bull Denim. I will use this primarily for the mask, boots and arm wraps dying them all the same color. Coffee, teal, RIT, spray paint, all of the above. I haven't really looked at this stuff yet.

Here is the mask uncut...

RiHqmzh.jpg

y03r6N7.jpg

I attached the hard hat with some rivets. I wanted a little of "flexibility for my big noggin."

XghPR3d.jpg

q0oxvLA.jpg

IxZWCe2.jpg

Like many, I referenced Wingnut's build thread which I believe he reference's Arcturus thread but I imagine at the end of the day it's all just one big happy family. The resin tusks and spikes needed to be cleaned up. I filed the eye slots by hand and took the rest to the belt sander. Once I got them all cleaned up I drilled them and used machine screws and washers to give my mask a test run.

QNPjwWX.jpg

ho7in14.jpg

xrhJalJ.jpg

Df8ghmh.jpg

pt4Nspa.jpg

FDbyC7f.jpg

Thoughts on the position of the spikes?

While I paused to stare at this mask/helmet. I decided to get the other "major fabricating" component out of the way. The respirator. Following wingnuts lead, I ripped apart the kitchen and scavenged some items. Here you go...

IOXiBbu.jpg

KNVbVJF.jpg

ZTJkbcd.jpg

LW9GIQ6.jpg

Ok so the aluminum rod and flanged short nuts I didn't find in my kitchen, those I got from ACE hardware. Came in around 11 bucks for the 3 items. The yellow and brown caps are from plastic gallon milk containers. Hopefully they will pass.

The black cut lines on the top of the whipped cream and snow cans I "eye balled" unit I actually got the tomato paste can. In reality, I wound up using the faint line seen on both cans above my drawn on black line.

cfa5RSy.jpg

4MtaQx8.jpg

6eF7RZN.jpg

F98THyG.jpg

B4A7e13.jpg

bEEYfkD.jpg

Hopefully I can paint this and the resin pieces from the mask/head tomorrow. I am gonna hold off on bending the tube for this until I get the mask done(?).

Certainly dirty but not to dirty. I'd be happy to give the thumbs up for clearance over in the UK. You probably want to see what other members of your Garrison have done to keep some consistency.

• Like 1

On 1/5/2018 at 5:16 AM, thebrighton said:

Certainly dirty but not to dirty. I'd be happy to give the thumbs up for clearance over in the UK. You probably want to see what other members of your Garrison have done to keep some consistency.

So I spoke with my GML and he gave the thumbs up on the weathering. As far as consistency, we don't seem to have a lot of active Tuskens here in Georgia. Last month during our Children's healthcare parade here in Atlanta I think only 3 or 4 tuskens trooped it. Maybe the heat has something to do with it. :eek:  So.... unless no one else sees any issues I will move on. Thanks for the input!

Ok so I have been sick for the last couple of weeks with this flu cold crud. It stinks and has left me unmotivated to do much of anything. In the meantime I will post up some pictures of my progress right as the sickness began. I have picked up 6 yards of Osnaburg to start on my room. The only thing at this point I physically don't have is the bandoliers which I will be most likely purchasing from https://www.worldwarsupply.com/cart/ . Here is the mask building pics.

20171228_171147.jpg

20171228_171152.jpg

I think ripped a bunch of bull denim into 1in, 2in and 3in pieces and dumped it in some Tan RIT. 

20171228_191045.jpg

20171228_190958.jpg

20171228_193310.jpg

So after I let it sit for a dye for a while, I pulled the strips out of the dye tub and placed them in the washer. Don't ask why, I then placed the strips directly into the dryer! :shock: What was I thinking? I saw all the pictures, clothes lines full of hanging little strips. People equating it to watching paint dry? What was I thinking, I will chalk it up to getting sick and not being able to think straight... Honestly, the only was I can describe what came out of the dryer is like when you put a thin cut piece of bacon on a hot frying pan. It shrunk massively. Honestly, at that point my thought was, I need to start over and just throw this stuff away. 

20180101_163837.jpg

So after the dryer fiasco I decided maybe I will just iron all the little strips and get them fat again, it should just take a couple of minutes right? So I gave the strips a misting to help steam them flat again. The process definitely took a little longer than I expected but I think the results came out pretty good!

20180101_163901.jpg