Sign in to follow this  
LuckyJack

Tusken bucket WIP

So the Gaffi stick is wrapped up now.....so next project will be the mask.

Yes - coming from the world of TK / TB 's  its still a bucket to me !   :tk:   Albeit a lot less white.....and just a shell of ABS.....and so much fabric...ok - very different !  :DZ:

So it all starts with the various goodies that have been collected......

- SC mask

- Godzilla cast aluminum greeblies (oh I love these sooooo much !!!!)

- This wonderful aged buffalo leather I found

- A maroonish / dark brown thin upholstery leather

- Bull denim fabric (rest to be used for arm wraps (going Bantha Rider), boots, etc)

pOCXYfr.png

Tore up a bunch of bull denim strips for the mask.

And a while back one of my children must have knocked a bag of espresso behind the shelf and it sat there for nearly 2 years. So it’s stale yet perfect for a Tusken !!! I’ve been saving it for this build !

Now....I've worked at a lot of Italian restaurants so I take my espresso very seriously. So its only natural my Tusken has a bit of panache and style as his fabrics will have the rich brown espresso color with a robusto roasted aroma !!!!

gVVKqoU.png 

Hmmm......after quite a bit of time it became apparent that this fabric likes a strong brew !!! Bene !!! More espresso......

HsCnOJf.png

More to follow once they soak a bit...........

Here's the results after 2 hours....4 mugs of espresso and about 10cups of cold water. 

I'll see how it dries overnight. Really happy with the result so far. If you look above at my workbench....you can see the starting color of the bull denim cloth. Its a really rich......medium espresso !   :-P

HK54FKA.png

Lol....thanks bud ! I know.....these are some first class rags - right !?!??

Rest easy tho....it’s almost 2 years  past the “best if used buy” date so it would a touch on the stale side !

• Haha 1

So took that ever so delicate first step - drilling the mask !

8YEI0L1.png

You might be wondering....why the rather unique mouth pilot hole ? Well....its a bit of a creative challenge to work with components from different crafts people. So I have the Studio Creations shell and the Godzilla aluminum greeblies as I mentioned above.

The aluminum parts are so awesome.....but they are heavy and so I need to ensure one doesn't fall off mid-troop !!! Since the teeth for example go in front of the nose where on a Godzilla model they sit on top, I had to make some adjustments. Also, needed to get this all set before the leather and cloth strips - a bit unusual as well I know.

So cutting some durable plastic off a Tupperware bin, I used a heat gun to mold it into an L bracket with screw holes for the teeth. It goes right in to attach to the inside of the mask under the nose. I also used screws and washers to hold the tusks in place - the tusks are not drilled so using hot glue and E-6000 as filler, it worked great.

fLR9Wat.png

Bu1DSxn.png

Public Service Announcement - notice a broken crafting knife blade ? Wear those goggles kids !!!!!! While shaping the mouth the blade broke in half and flew like a rocket into my goggles ! Anyway...back to our regularly scheduled program.....

1CRtfVJ.png

Had to expand the mouth a bit lower....but still the same shape. I'm going to use leather cut like goggles to fit snugly over the eyes stalks and will glue to the base in order to keep them secure. Might look for a washer as well....

Also, my mouth leather was too thick. Couldn't fold it properly so need to get a new materials.

Again....more to follow !!!

Made a lot of progress over the past day or two. Found a nice vinyl that folded and glued much better than the leather I had.

Did the mouth wrap - lot of folding....then un-folding because I made it too neat and orderly. Used the leather originally intended for the mouth as the background area.

Then proceeded with the leather wrap and nose tab.

4RKiKwD.png

Vmi1Xt5.png

Made some ventilation and sound holes.....then added the head spikes with fabric squares. Of course sliced myself with the crafting knife once or twice.....ever realize how sharp those things are ?!?!?!

B2W5IY4.png

Let the wrapping begin !!!!  <insert heavy bass beat here>

fTwqNI8.png

As I progressed the Tusken really came to life !!! Had a lot of fun with this stage ! It was tough to be neat.....but not look neat !!! And make sure no wraps ended on the mask. Also glued in some screening behind the eyes and mouth.

<insert lots of burnt fingers here with the hot glue>

Zdw4XaB.png

84NMW9t.png

Really happy how it came out.....the dog kinda freaked out and almost chomped my foot when I tried it on.....but otherwise went well !

Next will be to let it sit, add a helmet liner....then check to see if any wraps need a touch or two of glue. Weather it a bit more and then on to the next stage of my kit build !!!

• Like 1

My weekend of weathering................this step is literally espresso in a spray bottle. Next will be the acrylic paints once this dries.

vFA8NHY.png

Yl9a3r7.png

dC8mGDB.png