Sign in to follow this  
LuckyJack

From ABS to osnaburg.....a troopers journey into the Jundland Wastes

So as my intro thread stated ( LuckyJack's intro thread )  I'm finally focused on one of those "must do's" in my opinion. I love trooping....especially for charity and whether that's directly for a children's hospital or to generate interest in a good cause like an awareness walk - who wouldn't love to see a Tusken there !?!?!? So I'm finally putting my mind to a long standing project of mine.....build a Tusken !

I know by putting this thread out here....it holds me accountable to all you fine denizens of the Jundland Wastes !!!

So after spending a few dozen hours surfing these forums and other along with watching a number of amazing videos, I make a few trips Joann's, Walmart and Lowe's (with a dash of some other stores & Amazon thrown in there) to complete my stash of Tusken raw materials. 

What to do first ? Well...a few things are still in the mail and the first step is always the hardest........so I just woke up today and decided.....the Gaderffii / Gaffi stick ! Other than the mask and the arms up hollar....its the hallmark (maybe competing with a spiffy cycler rifle) of a Tusken. Credit to all here for some great posts and images.....went with Happy Trooper's amazing tutorial and walk through for my first Gaffi stick. 

The work begins.....almost forgot to take the snap for you all ! Started to make my pencil lines on what will be the club head and quickly stopped to snap the goods strewn all over my workbench.

Let the Tusken journey commence !!!

Tusken WIP 3.png

That sofa bun hunk of wood is dense !

So first bit of feedback after a few back and forths to Lowe’s & Home Depot looking for the right Dremel bit. I just didn’t have the right one in my stash and after  few attempts - got a goodie.

I found the best bit to be #543 - the 1 1/4” carbide cutting shaping wheel. This fella cuts thru it “like butta”. 

As Ferris would say - If you have the means, I highly recommend picking one up.

I found that after using the carbide cutting wheel to rough out the cuts a conical tip worked well to really gouge out the shape and provide definition between the "squares". I used a metal conical tip, not the sanding ones that are usually pink or some other color. 

Thanks for that.....was literally just playing with the bits to see which one I thought was best ! The pink and green, even the small cones did not seem to do as well as a metal engraving bit (7144).

However, after some experimenting - found a good ol’ Fashioned rasp was the best tool for me. After an hour or so with the rasp....I was finally happy with the results.

(Since my focus is currently the Gaffi stick - will not clog this thread with too much - all posted over in Accessories   LuckyJack's Gaffi Stick Progress thread )

ySJbI10.png