DarkFather    13

Hi ho all;

Just wanted to share DZ22372's & DZ37781's good news. We are expecting a new addition to our Jawa family, our little boy Rillo (Jawaese for Dune). OK, not really, but I am making a Baby Jawa and it's name will be Rillo. ;) I have searched hi and low on the Krayt forums for posts on other peoples baby builds, and have found very very little. So I am hoping that this thread will end up being a useful tool (or a host of what-not-to-do points) for others contemplating making a baby Jawa.

Anyone who has seen my WiP posts on other forums (501st & others) will already know, my posts are bare knuckle posts, mistakes and achievements alike are posted. Pics are raw as raw can be, no editing done of any sort. What you see is what you get.

Anyway, with all that said and done, let's get going.

I decided on a 'hard plastic' bodied baby doll as the base for this build, so that all electronics etc could be hidden away inside the hollow head and body. We went to one of the local charity outlets (St. Vincents) and scored this little one for only $3.00. SCORE! Say hello to the disturbingly human looking Rillo (Don't worry 'his' appearance will change - for the better).

01-BabyJawaPropWip_zpsp5wyejoz.jpg

For the disticly Jawa looking eyes I decided to go with these sealed clear 'white' LED lights. They come in an 8 light chain, but you can easily just cut off the lights you don't require.

02-BabyJawaPropWip_zpsgpslxbpt.jpg

I changed the on/off switch for a mercury switch. So that way when his mother is carrying him around he can sleep, and when he's required for a photo he can easily be woken up by changing the angle of his recline slightly. The item number form Jaycar for the mercury switch is below.

03-BabyJawaPropWip_zpsphfeucnf.jpg

Those puny human eyes just wont do, so I proceeded to remove them and make way for some proper Jawa eyes. 10 seconds with a scalpel and the surgery was completed.

04-BabyJawaPropWip_zpsxgumqjsu.jpg

Looking more like a prop for a horror story I thought I should quickly get a photo with the lights roughly in place.

05-BabyJawaPropWip_zpsxaqyhg4l.jpg

06-BabyJawaPropWip_zps1sgolyaj.jpg

Since Rillo's mother and father don't have the bubble eyes some Jawas prefer, I decided to give him the flat yellow eyes of his parents. For this I simply used yellow plastic paint/filler scrapers.

07-BabyJawaPropWip_zpszf3zcveh.jpg

At this point, I decided the eyes looked a little... large... for such a small head, so I came up with an idea to mount the lights on 2 pvc pipe stalks and extend those stalks ontop of the lights as well, that way the lights ended up in the middle of the head interior, and with the yellow 'caps' on the stalks, the eyes are slightly smaller, and have a 'depth' to the glow.

08-BabyJawaPropWip_zpsgvvvmynp.jpg

09-BabyJawaPropWip_zpss273zyia.jpg

Inside the head is a bit of a mess of wires etc, but hopefully in the pic below you can see the pvc pipe stalks and between them is a 'cheese wedge' of pine wood. This does double duty. It holds the pvc pipes the correct distance apart o the eyes are 'straight' and also holds the mercury switch at a -45 degree angle. So when Rillo is laying down, he is most definitely deactivated. A simple angling of his body however activates the lights, and he wakes up. Baby Alive? Pfft... Jawa Alive! ;) 

10-BabyJawaPropWip_zps4lmlljpn.jpg

The lights are quite bright and his whole little dome lights up, so I had to give him a permanent balaclava (black Gaffa Tape). I also decided to get him prematurely ready for his adult approval, so I made him a black undersuit as well. Yep, hand made, and sewing machine stitched. This is what happens when a guy finds himself without a PS4 controller for a night. ;) 

11-BabyJawaPropWip_zpsopkn3r0g.jpg

And sitting up, activating the eyes. Seems little Rillo is happy with his new threads too. ;) LOL

12-BabyJawaPropWip_zpsimpqrwov.jpg

An access panel cut into his back to gain access to the battery pack for the eyes.

13-BabyJawaPropWip_zps5z7useyx.jpg

And velcro at the back of his undersuit for easy access as well.

14-BabyJawaPropWip_zpsszzrkl4f.jpg

As soon as the material for his robes and hood arrive, I will get him all suited up. I am going to spray paint and seal his hands black, and if there is enough material, I will wrap his feet and glue on soles from a pair of baby booties/shoes to give him his own Jawa Boots. I also have plans for a speaker in his chest cavity and if everything goes according to plan, a mercury-switched mp3 player that plays the 501st Jawa chatter, when he is 'awake' (eyes lit up). That way he can talk to dad and mum, ;) 

More updates once the material arrives. We are hoping to debut this little guy at a troop on the 23rd June.

Critiques/Comments always welcome.

Cheers

• Like 2

Cricket    10

Wow!  Those pics of the baby are awesomely creepy. Really nice creativity.  Love it. 

DarkFather    13

Our fabric arrived!!! A HUGE thank you to MJ for supplying me with some scraps of old material (that matches Arienh's and mine costume material - which is no longer attainable) so that baby Rillo matches his parents.

I got stuck into making the robe and hood straight away. A seamstress I'm not, definitely not... but I managed to knock this out. I was quite happy with myself, but I soon realised the hood was not good enough. I needed to make it 'deeper'.

15-BabyJawaPropWip_zpshmnvpbvo.jpg

You can see the 'deepness' fail of the hood from behind, and the opening isn't quite right either, I don't think.

16-BabyJawaPropWip_zpsvgvbzsyu.jpg

17-BabyJawaPropWip_zpsafn30gim.jpg

Even my cat Shadow (short fro Shadow Trooper) wasn't impressed at my fail hood...

18-BabyJawaPropWip_zpsq9qyy9zq.jpg

So back to the grindstone I went... and I knocked out this beauty. This one I am happy with, so it got the full treatment with black lining inside the hood, to make it look even better.

19-BabyJawaPropWip_zpsl3fepmmn.jpg

From the back you can see the hood is 'deeper' over the shoulders and just... sits better.

20-BabyJawaPropWip_zpsveksfyo0.jpg

We needed to do something with his glow-white/flesh hands and feet... so I made him mittens and little Jawa Booties.

21-BabyJawaPropWip_zpst6d65tpr.jpg

He also now has a face shroud and voice also. A little speaker located in his stomach and an Ipod shuffle in his back. I used the files provided by TK0580, in this post here. I adjusted the pitch to give them more of a baby voice tone and edited them all into a singular file 25 seconds long and it simply runs on a loop.

I'll attempt to add 2 video's to this post also showing Rillo in his working awesomeness.

His first troop is tomorrow, so we have only just scraped in with getting him ready. I hope this thread is of use, or even mild entertainment, to even one other member who is thinking of doing the same thing.

Cheers.

20170614_164317.mp4

20170623_201639.mp4

• Like 3

DarkFather    13
44 minutes ago, Patiana said:

Thanks for posting this! A great way to use my left over material.

You're more than welcome.

anti-hero    0

Hey I'm also working on a Jawababy at the moment and was wondering if I could get the Jawababy Sounds you changed from the original files? Thanks in advance haha

DarkFather    13
19 hours ago, anti-hero said:

Hey I'm also working on a Jawababy at the moment and was wondering if I could get the Jawababy Sounds you changed from the original files? Thanks in advance haha

The files should be in my last post, at the end.

Cheers

anti-hero    0
On 7.8.2017 at 0:10 PM, DarkFather said:

The files should be in my last post, at the end.

Cheers

oh my bad haha, i thought it were other files haha :D