Grumpy_Tusken

Wrapping the mouth area on a helmet

Hi folks,

just a quick question, I now have my Godzilla mask and it's awesome!! but for some weird reason, i can't get the lamb skin wrap to sit properly, i don't have it glued on yet as i was just practicing to see how it would look before actually gluing it as i can't get barge glue here in the UK so i am looking for the UK equivalent.

so my question is this, is there a certain way to do the mouth wrap? or is it just a matter of wrapping the skin round the mouth and pulling the excess through the mouth opening?

i would rather not mess it up so i thought i would ask here since this will be my first time building this sort of mask and i don't want to mess it up.

Thank you for your time and  any advice.

Ian ...:DZ:

tuskentim    1

I have the same build. I loaded the pieces with a lot of contact cement and used clamps to hold it down

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

• Like 1

Gruntsky    89

@Alaskan_Salmon_Raider (Dennis) has some good photos of the most typical way that the leather is done. Fold it up like an accordion and then poke it through the mouth and then glue it around the outside and then the inside.

• Like 1

Darthman    29

Lots of hot glue!

Sent from my SM-N920T using Tapatalk

• Like 1

well it looks like this isn't as easy as i had hoped, i messed it up with the glue we have in the UK, so i am now on the look out for another piece of the lamb skin material to re-do this.

I managed to get it looking right with out glue but once the glue was applied it was a race to get it on and then it wouldn't sit right and when i tried to adjust it, once part came loose and it was a pain to try and get it sorted, so i end up taking it back out and then it went belly up from there.

Thank you for the advice so far, lets hope i get another piece of material and get it right the next time.

Gruntsky    89

I'd have to agree with what darthman said mate, use hot glue. Gives you a little bit of time to get the placement right and if you stuff it up you can just rip it off and try again without ruining your leather. Once you have it hot glued, you can use your E6000 or barge cement around the edges if you're worried about it coming unstuck.

• Like 2

my only concern is that, my helmet is a Godzilla helmet and made from Latex so i am not sure how well hot glue will take to the latex without peeling.

I will give it a test on a small scrap piece i took out of the eyes.

Chekur6    108

When gluingmon to the latex use Barge cement, you can find it at most places. Hot glue does not work as well. In the Godzilla instructions he lists what adhesives to use. I would suggest sticking with those because every time someone deviates form them they have problems.

Hi Paul,

Problem being, i stay in Scotland in the UK, we can't get Barge cement here and if i was to send to the US for it, the shipping outweighs the cost of the glue, and there is also the problem of customs impounding it, as they are funny with this sort of thing. so i am forced to find a UK equivalent.

Thanks for the Advice though.

Ian ...

tuskentim    1
When gluingmon to the latex use Barge cement, you can find it at most places. Hot glue does not work as well. In the Godzilla instructions he lists what adhesives to use. I would suggest sticking with those because every time someone deviates form them they have problems.

I was really happy with contact cement. I also keep some in my armor box.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Darthman    29

I used the e6000 on the inside the mouth area. Wrapped it with a rubber band and lite it sit overnight

Sent from my SM-N920T using Tapatalk

Arcturus1020    310

E6000 is also a contact cement, as is GOOP! or Shoe Goo...just about any contact cement will work for this since hot melt glue is not an option with your substrate. I've heard that Evo-stik Impact Multi-Purpose instant contact adhesive or Alfa Thixofix works well.

• Like 1

Thank you James, Evo-stik Impact Multi-Purpose instant contact adhesive is what i am using, as that's the only contact cement that i can get hold of in the UK with relative ease, i just wasn't sure it was OK to use since i can't get the recommended glue here in the UK but thank you for the confirmation.

I can't thank you all enough for the help and advice, i will be giving this another go as soon as my replacement lamb skin mouth piece turns up, as Adam(Godzilla) was  kind enough to send me another piece since i messed my first one up.

i will be doing this a little at a time next time round as it's not as easy as i had thought.

Thanks again.

Ian ...

• Like 1

Arcturus1020    310
On 5/16/2017 at 10:11 AM, Grumpy_Tusken said:

... there is also the problem of customs impounding it, as they are funny with this sort of thing. so i am forced to find a UK equivalent.

Thanks for the Advice though.

Ian ...

The reason for this is because it's toxic. Review the MSDS for all the hazards associated with this adhesive. It's pretty bad stuff, so I can certainly understand why they'd impound this product to Scotland. Here's the SDS for Evo-Stik, which you may also care to review. Do use it with plenty of ventilation and/or with a proper mask! Good luck on the wrapping Ian! Stay safe!

• Like 1

well we managed to find a small fabric store that had a substitute material but it was just as thin as the original so my fiancee tried her hand at it, as my fingers were a bit clumsy so she has done an outstanding job on this, certainly better than i could have done.

mouth%20wrap._zpsr7qngoez.jpg

This is the result of her work.

Thank you everyone for the advice and comments, i will be moving on to the leather wraps shortly now that this is out the way.

Ian ...

• Like 3