Sign in to follow this  
Scouser

Scouser's Bantha Rider

Hello all,

I felt funny posting a WIP thread since I did not build the suit, just the gaffi stick.   I used the build thread/DIY for the Lowes Gaffi stick and I loved it.  Was super simple and a tutorial I feel anybody could follow.    I just wish I had thought to take more photos as I was building.  My outfit, I wanted a Bantha Rider since I really like the story about the relationships Tusken have with their Bantha.  In addition, I didn't want to add another layer since I have to deal with heat and humidity.  I may add the outer robe in the future though.   The outfit came from Tusken Outfitters and I am SUPER happy with it.  Bandos I found off ebay and also a re-enactment dealer's website.

I sent my images into the local GML, but have no idea how long it will take to get any feedback or permission to submit officially.  Is there a timeframe to wait before I can just go ahead and submit to 501st?  I want to get approved before Celebration and know it will be more and more of a crunch as it approaches.

IMG_0963_zpsdpgd5xbt.jpg

IMG_0961_zpsouebrecq.jpg

IMG_0957_zpsdv9lmboy.jpg

IMG_0998_zpsei4xo3rg.jpg

When you submitted it to your GML, you sent it in for approval for the 501st. There is no way to know how long it will take for your GML to get back to you with either approval or recommended changes. A gaffi stick is not required for approval for this costume in the 501st either, but it is required for the Rebel Legion. I don't know if you have a waist sash on or not, so that may be a matter of contention. The head wraps on the mask also look too tight and plastered down for an ANH version, but that's nitpicky. Hopefully your GML will let you know soon and send you your approved 501st number!

Thank you for the feedback!   The GML also replied to me today and mentioned the head wrap too.  I took a wire brush to it and got some better looking edges on the bandages.  Changed my bandos around since he said I needed a different one for the waist.  I didn't see that anywhere in the CRLs, but it actually fits better with the swap.  I am still kinda confused on the bando for the waist since I am just following the CRL, but doing what I need to do.  Also spend about an hour or so weathering them since they were very new looking.    Added a tad bit of weathering to toe of boots and flipped my sash around because one side has more weathering oddly, and I managed to not pick that side for first pics. 
Did everything that needed to be done, so tomorrow I will take more pics once wife get home.  Our house is so dark it seems I have to take photos outside against our garage since it is only white thing we have for a background.  

Your GML is wrong about the bando around your waist (to be blunt)...all your bandoliers are the correct type for ANH. They might be thinking that only the one type (unidentified bandolier) is worn around the waist, but the CRL does state only that 3 bandoliers are worn and does not specify the type. I wish there was something that we as a detachment could do to assist the GMLs in cases like this to help educate them.

I asked if he had a different CRL, and he said he would recheck and came back with basically same info.  I'll copy the bando info and even point out level 2 info which is what I was using for bando purchase. I wanted to make sure I got the most accurate I could without hurting myself financially.

i mainly went with 1903s on chest to have more symmetrical look.  Hopefully I can submit officially tonight since I just emailed him directly without applying for membership. Did everything requested so far. I'll try to provide the CRL info and ask if there is something different to please inform me since I am going off what I see here.

Hi Scouser, I'm not familiar with the Tusken Costume, though the Bandolier in question is very common one the Jawa's use's.  

I will see if I can get someone to take a look for you.

The 1903 and Henri Martini are acceptable bandoliers.  Minimum of one, maximum of three.  Different "flavors" of Tuskens have the different styles in specific locations.  What you have is fine, and wearing the 1903's across the chest, and the Henri Martini around the waist, is the best visual choice for basic approval.

Your GML can toss a question up in the GML area under "Tusken Raiders and Jawa Costumes (DZ) -", and I'll post the above info.

Thanks everybody.  We ended up getting the okay last night finally.   I left the bandos the way he wanted them even though visually it was not as pleasing to me....the martini is more flat so makes chest area not as poofy....but I think I will put it back on the waist when I start trooping.  I'll have to look at the bandos a little more closely and see if I can add some leather softner and then run over them a few times with my truck.  Used to break in my baseball gloves that way and worked like a charm!

Hopefully my name gets added officially soon since he told me to put in my app and he started working on it right after I did.   Excited to get ready for celebration!

• Like 1

As of this morning DZ-91919 lives!!!    

Thanks again all!  The info on this forum has been awesome!

Now to get my wife's Jawa done on a time crunch. She is jealous of my approval haha

Look forward to meeting some of you at Celebration!

• Like 1

Congrats on your approval and welcome officially to the Krayt Clan!

Love those Bantha riders!!

Scouser, I'll be at celebration with the midsouth garrison. Look me up. Heath.

DZ-92598

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Congrats!

I submitted my Raider on the 20th but have not received feedback yet. Hoping to hear from my GML soon, although I know everything is crazy with Celebration.

Thanks again!  Could not have done it without all the info here.  I may not say a lot, but I try to keep up with as much as possible.