Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
FantasticDamage

FanDam's Tusken Raider Mask Build (Darth Hair)

37 posts in this topic

Hi All,

This is my first of hopefully many posts here on the Krayt Clan forums. My wife had known I had been wanting to join the 501st and knew I was a Tusken Raider fan. To my surprise she purchased the Darth Hair Tusken kit for me for Christmas. :) I have just recently got a chance to begin building the kit after a few weeks of research here on the forums and talking with 2 501st members from Portugal who are friends of mine - one of which is a local Tusken builder/mentor to the Portuguese 501st. 

After talks with my friend I discovered that the Darth Hair kit is acceptable for the 501st but not as authentic as other kits. With this is mind, I didn't want to return the mask since my wife purchased it for me and overall it is representative of a Tusken. With that said, I began work on my Tusken Helmet. 

Here is a list of material I purchased to replace material that came with the kit:

Leather Strapping around the mouth - I ordered 120" of 1-1/4" 8-10oz Leather Strips (Brown Buffalo Color) from Amazon - https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00XM8CB6I/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

On to the build...

First I riveted the mask together, drilled the mask, and test fit all of the components...

15966041_10103940184974639_8395201238393

Next I started work on the mouth. Knowing that the Darth Hair mouth was not to original design, I tried to make sure there was less leather showing on the top lip of the mouth. I then brought the leather out slightly more on the side of the mouth, and brought the leather out the most at the bottom of the mouth to help simulate the original Tusken designs.

Additionally, from the research on the forums, I added a piece of vinyl leather to the face of the mask to aid in covering up the white helmet.

15940860_10103940185144299_2523172840735

The next step I intend on taking is finish wrapping the mouth. After speaking with my 501st buddy, we decided that the leather provided in the kit was too soft and did not hold straight lines around the mouth. I went ahead and ordered a thicker leather off of Amazon, which should be arriving very soon.

15749510_1601759283171325_1050691766_n.p

61HbG2qdrML._SL1100_.jpg

1 person likes this

Looking forward to see how this turns out!

1 person likes this

Nice... Good Work. Some questions feel free to ask.

Enviado do meu SM-J320FN através de Tapatalk

1 person likes this

1 hour ago, abilio30 said:

Nice... Good Work. Some questions feel free to ask.

Hey Abílio! Thanks for all of your help so far :)

1 person likes this

Darth Hair is in our Garrison, his stuff is awesome!!

2 people like this

1 hour ago, garbz said:

Darth Hair is in our Garrison, his stuff is awesome!!

Yeah, according to my wife he really helped her out making sure my kit got to me in time for Christmas. Initially it was supposed to arrive a week after, but he expedited things to make sure it arrived in time. So Darth Hair if you see this, thanks! :)

15 hours ago, FantasticDamage said:

Hey Abílio! Thanks for all of your help so far :)

Today, I'll sent you new photos. step by step.

1 person likes this

Got the leather in I ordered from Amazon. The leather is much more stiff than the leather provided in the kit. What's nice though is that it still stretches pretty easily - I was able to bend the leather to help mold it around the mouth. As seen below, I started wrapping the snout...Waiting on the 2nd half of my order to get in to finish wrapping the mouth, but here is what I have so far.

15895367_10103943737899549_5020361690705

15894627_10103943737949449_3331483651957

Looking good! My bucket is a Darth Hair as well. I used different fabric, but I used the leather supplied. I actually had to thin some of the leather out to have it fit under the tusks/ blood spiters. I like the thick leather look, just make sure you are mindful of how it's placement could impact the tusks. It wasn't until I tried to put on the thin leather strap that I realized my issue. I was able to just thin the last strap, but I was using the thinner supplied leather strapping. Good luck with the build!!!

1 person likes this

2 minutes ago, finntheirish said:

Looking good! My bucket is a Darth Hair as well. I used different fabric, but I used the leather supplied. I actually had to thin some of the leather out to have it fit under the tusks/ blood spiters. I like the thick leather look, just make sure you are mindful of how it's placement could impact the tusks. It wasn't until I tried to put on the thin leather strap that I realized my issue. I was able to just thin the last strap, but I was using the thinner supplied leather strapping. Good luck with the build!!!

Thanks for the heads up, I'll definitely keep that in mind now. :)

1 person likes this

I love my darthhair mask - so glad I went with the kit instead of anything else - good luck with your build.   

I appreciate your chronicling this process. I'm about to purchase my Darth Hair kit. It great to see how it goes together from a different view and perspective. Please keep up the good work. Best of luck on your build.

2 people like this

Hello, I also have a Darth Hair mask, I am very happy with it.  Just a quick note...if you want a little more screen accuracy.  One thing I learned on these forums about the helmet is that the eye stalks are offset.  I saw this photo on another post here:

dc2d716c11d9a6739d7a739190819053.jpg

I did the same thing you did, I mounted the eyes with the slots facing the bottom, and drilled the holes.  I saw on the forums here that the slots should be offset.  I re-drilled the holes, they cannot be seen.  Check the bottom of my photo, you can see the 2 "mistake" vertical holes.  Once the stalks are in place, you won't see your original holes.  Even if you do, you can easily cover them with that brown leather that you have on the face. 
IMG_4544-e1471730670670.jpg

Here is the after pic with the offset eye stalks:
DSC_0221-e1471730759117.jpg

Good luck on your build and have fun!

2 people like this

Thanks for the heads up HappyTrooper, I need to reposition the eye stalks anyways and I will make that change. I've been referencing your build a lot, you nailed the head wrapping! I'm also most likely going to use your how-to for the Gaffi stick, as you do incredible work!

With that said, I finished the mouth wrapping last night. Now I just need to reposition the eyes to clear the leather and correct the orientation of the vents. Additionally, one of my Blood Splitters needs to be readjusted as it comes off at an odd angle. 

I also think I may cut out peripheral windows and cover with tan mesh. I think having the peripheral windows will dramatically increase my ability to move around in busy conventions.

In the pictures below I placed the eye stalks where I plan on re-positioning them. 

15966071_10103954720205919_667779311109915895360_10103954720325679_5356381802088

2 people like this

Thank you for the kind words FantasticDamage.  Your mask is looking great so far.  You said you referred to my mask build, well, I can't take the credit, I followed most of Alaskan Salmon Raider's build when I constructed my Darth Hair mask.  He also has cooler tattoos than I do.

Keep those progress pics coming!  We are all enjoying your build.

3 people like this

2 hours ago, HappyTrooper said:

Thank you for the kind words FantasticDamage.  Your mask is looking great so far.  You said you referred to my mask build, well, I can't take the credit, I followed most of Alaskan Salmon Raider's build when I constructed my Darth Hair mask.  He also has cooler tattoos than I do.

Keep those progress pics coming!  We are all enjoying your build.

Thanks for the encouragement, it's great to see how everyone influences each other here. :)

I do have one question, I too am opting to go with a different cloth for wrapping. I like the idea of going with the Khaki color to create some contrast as well. Looking at ebay, I see the various duck cloth is available and was curious was weight fabric does everyone recommend? I see various options ranging from 10-14oz. Additionally, how many yards would be recommend to cover my head, arms, and legs?

Thanks all!

I remember buying 6 yards of 10 oz khaki bull denim from Joann's Fabrics and had plenty for head, boots, and arms. I got it on sale for like less than 5 bucks a yard.  The fabric that came with the kit I ruined trying to dye - looked like strips of bacon - lol

I cut strips in different widths Between 2,  2 1/2,  3,  3 /1/2 inches - then threw them in a washing machine and dryer with a large bath towel to get the edges to fray. The wash & dry will shrink then a bit and also twist them all crazy like - I left some of the strips folded over so things were not so symmetrical while wrapping.

Agreed - this forum has many ideas and "what I did" threads available - helped me immensely in creating my own look I wanted to achieve. Allows even those with little or no skills achieve there dreams (like me) some people will even follow this great build and use some if not all of it to create their own mask.    

1 person likes this

27 minutes ago, Alaskan_Salmon_Raider said:

I remember buying 6 yards of 10 oz khaki bull denim from Joann's Fabrics and had plenty for head, boots, and arms. I got it on sale for like less than 5 bucks a yard.  The fabric that came with the kit I ruined trying to dye - looked like strips of bacon - lol

I cut strips in different widths Between 2,  2 1/2,  3,  3 /1/2 inches - then threw them in a washing machine and dryer with a large bath towel to get the edges to fray. The wash & dry will shrink then a bit and also twist them all crazy like - I left some of the strips folded over so things were not so symmetrical while wrapping.

Agreed - this forum has many ideas and "what I did" threads available - helped me immensely in creating my own look I wanted to achieve. Allows even those with little or no skills achieve there dreams (like me) some people will even follow this great build and use some if not all of it to create their own mask.    

Thanks for the info and thanks for your how-to thread Salmon, you did an awesome job! Throwing the towel in with the strips sounds like a great idea. 

Also, I am the same way I feel like a have an artistic vision, but my skills are lacking. Seeing pictures and videos is a tremendous help.

Oh I saw the pictures of your bacon strips, I could almost taste the bacon :) 

1 person likes this

1 hour ago, FantasticDamage said:

Thanks for the encouragement, it's great to see how everyone influences each other here. :)

I do have one question, I too am opting to go with a different cloth for wrapping. I like the idea of going with the Khaki color to create some contrast as well. Looking at ebay, I see the various duck cloth is available and was curious was weight fabric does everyone recommend? I see various options ranging from 10-14oz. Additionally, how many yards would be recommend to cover my head, arms, and legs?

Thanks all!

I did the following for all of my wraps (mask, arms, boots, waist sash, neck scarf):

• Purchased about 4 yards of natural duck cloth from Joann Fabric (8.85 oz) and used a coupon 
  • Threw the entire piece in the washing machine and washed it in hot water, dried it on high heat to shrink it
  • Layed out the fabric on the floor, made cuts along the side selvage at 1.5", 2-2.5", and 3" random intervals, then tore lengthwise so I had a bunch of ~54" strips of different widths (it tears easily and is a good arm workout)
  • Also cut 2 x 14" strips (one for a scarf and one for a sash)
  • Put all of the strips in the washer and dyed with a bottle of Rit Taupe and a package of Rit Gray and disolved salt water (per the packages instructions)
  • Dried all of the strips in the dryer, this really frayed the edges, they were all knotted together
2 people like this

First attempt at dying fabric today - using Happy Trooper's combo of RIT Taupe and Pearl Gray....I think I may try redying the existing fabric with just a bottle of Taupe to add some color as I feel this came out more on the gray side. What do you all think?

15977922_10103963137437719_698255534325115941083_10103963137357879_3485224421691

3 people like this

Dried the fabric then temporary held it in place on my mask. I took a picture of it under fluorescent and sunlight to try and capture it's true color. Looks better than it did initially, however, I would still like your opinions.

15965251_10103963582885039_7207549484611

15977565_10103963582900009_8643799590532

1 person likes this

Doenst it looks very grey?

1 hour ago, abilio30 said:

Doenst it looks very grey?

Took your advice Bilio and dropped same samples in Black Tea....

From Left to Right -

(1) RIT Taupe and Pearl Gray

(2) RIT Taupe, Pearl Gray, and Black Tea

(3) Black Tea

(4) No Dye

Tea is definitely the way to go, would option 2 be acceptable? I could dye my existing fabric (that is currently gray) and still be able to utilize it for wrapping. I personally think 2 and 3 look great.

16114915_10103963866776119_5398369058649

3 people like this

I like the color. In my opinion if it looks dirty and all three parts match, I'd say it's good. However, it is a little darker than what is considered screen accurate. But I'm no expert.

1 person likes this

Either 3 or 2 in my opinion, then you can weather them once they're all on the mask.

1 person likes this