stretch

Ralph MaQuarrie concept tusken raider

38 posts in this topic

I'm after some feedback for the clothing ( robes ? )  that i'm about to start.

The one on the left is the one I'm aiming for, thats because his clothing is the most different from normal Tuskens.

Concept tusken back shot zoom.PNG

The other sources i'm using are these..

Tusken_Raiders.jpg

The picture of the Tusken meeting has got many individual gems in it..front views, side views, rear views, many different clothing combinations, another species ( closest thing I can descibe it as is a bothan...) and most interestingly of all, BARE HANDS.. the two guys kneeling on the left side..one has his hand hanging over his knee.. am I mistaken ?

concept tusken raider.PNG

I've made some drawings sourced from the various pictures..

The flairing out of the top under the belt I'm picturing as something like what would happen if you did the same to a leather trenchcoat.. hmm.. you may get that, you may not, I know what i mean lol

Also the length of it varies, but its drawn like it needs to be for this particular character and also drawn a bit longer on the rear view..

concept tusken front.PNG

concept tusken back.PNG

I've picked some more details out after zooming in on some of the Tuskens in the Tusken meeting drawing

concept tusken belt.PNG

I'll be working on the finer details after I sort out the main structure of it all..

Comments ??

1 person likes this

Looks pretty good to me. Leather pouches almost look like satchels in the pictures and one is wearing a pistol holster in the storyteller picture. Good luck, I love the idea of this build!

1 person likes this

7 minutes ago, Gruntsky said:

Looks pretty good to me. Leather pouches almost look like satchels in the pictures and one is wearing a pistol holster in the storyteller picture. Good luck, I love the idea of this build!

I think your right on the satchels.. they look very soft. I saw what looked like a pistol to me too. I could be an elaborate dagger though. 

Any comment on the bare hands.. the last picture shows bare fingers too...

Yeah, they're definitely bared hands, well fingers at the least. Looks like the arm wraps start under the sleeves and travel up over the palm and cover the fingers partially on the pic with the Tusken holding the rifle. You're right about the seated tuskens, definitely look like bare hands to me. Mind you, if I were sitting before an open fire warming my hands, last thing I'd want is some dried old rags wrapped around them!

1 person likes this

As for the holster, I think you'd be looking at something like these WWI and II leather holsters:
ZZZZZZFLARHOL_038714.jpg

5986_1L.jpg

Tusken_Ralph.png

2 people like this

13 hours ago, stretch said:

The flairing out of the top under the belt I'm picturing as something like what would happen if you did the same to a leather trenchcoat.. hmm.. you may get that, you may not, I know what i mean lol

I get what you mean ;) 

I think it's part flair, part action shot. As he is twisting/moving, the bottom of his robe is billowing out

1 person likes this

7 hours ago, Gruntsky said:

As for the holster, I think you'd be looking at something like these WWI and II leather holsters:

5986_1L.jpg

Tusken_Ralph.png

Thats pretty much exactly what it is..

1 person likes this

It's interesting that the breather doesn't seem to have a leather wrap - it looks reflective like the other metal parts.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

13 hours ago, Bizarro Amy said:

It's interesting that the breather doesn't seem to have a leather wrap - it looks reflective like the other metal parts.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

In the close up single picture yes, but in the pic where the tuskens are meeting, it looks like they are covered

On 12/26/2016 at 8:47 AM, Bizarro Amy said:

I've tried my hand at sewing. The colours and weathering still need attention but I'm happy with my first effort so far. Gloves, neck seal, outer robe ( not sure if I'm doing that yet ) belts, bag and weapon  not started yet. 

boots front.PNG

side view.PNG

back view.PNG

Front view.PNG

2 people like this

I think your sewing attempt is coming along just fine!

Is it me, or is the mouth a bit big? I can see that in the concept art, the mouths look larger than on-screen Tuskens. Or at least the mouth openings do. But do you think maybe yours should be just a little smaller? No insult intended, but he kind of looks like he's yelling or making a very wide yawn:)

I know what you mean. For some reason the mouth always looks bigger in pics than in the flesh. The fish eye lens effect i guess

Having said that, it is substantially bigger than a normal Tusken

This is really amazing.  Will definitely be following!  

I need a bit of feedback in regards to the neck covering. 

In the picture I'm basing my build on there's not really any neck showing, if there is, it's too dark / cluttered to make out any detail:concept tusken raider.PNG

In my other reference pictures, either it looks like they dont \have a neck wrap, just covering thats pretty flush to the skin,or it looks like theres only really any cover on the back half of the neck, tapering away to the throat:

Concept tusken back shot zoom.PNG

Concept tusken front side shot.PNG

Concept tusken zoom dark.PNG

You can see, from behind they look like they have some kind of tubular cover, from the front, it doesnt look like anything is there.

I'm thinking a balaclava type of thing, possibly with a half length neck wrap. If anyone is familiar with a Judge Dredd costume, I'm thinking something similar to the collar ring.

I'm open to suggestions on what to do.

I made a stretch fabric neck seal that fits under the top.

Between that and the closers under the chin on the helmet, you cant see any skin at all.

I'm going to add some velcro to stop it from moving and also some rag strips to blend it in more.P1260228.JPG

P1260230.JPG

P1260232.JPG

Also started on the arm wraps. They look a lot greener than they actually are..

They need more wrapping. Its too hot to work in the shed at the moment, so it going to wait..P1240228.JPG

P1240229.JPG

1 person likes this

This looks great!

1 person likes this

Great job on the arm wraps.  

Are the outside photos fairly accurate in terms of color?  The drawings depict a much browner hue.  Not sure if you were looking for feedback.  If not - please disregard.

Edit:: On2nd thought, i guess it depends on which drawing.  Some are beige, and the others are more accurate  to the color you have.

Not at all. All sorts of feedback is what I'm after :).

The picture I've based it on is this one. 

concept tusken raider.PNG

This is where the green comes from.

Also, in the pictures around the campfire, you can see they do have a lot of green where the light of the campfire has reflected off the clothing. Maybe not quite so green as in the original picture, but it is dark..That's why I've gone with the green the way it is now. Also, its does have a fair bit of brown that doesn't show up in the photos for some reason.

Concept tusken front side shot.PNG

Yeah, disregard my comment then.  I'd say you have the color dialed in really well.

I like how you shortened the head spikes and extended the fabric wrap under the muzzle like the first of the two photos you just posted.  Great attention to detail there.  Overall, very impressed with this build.

1 person likes this

Thanks. Theres also a strip of plastic (painted in silver) that sits where the chin or bottom lip would be. You can see it in this pic.

20161209_164425.jpg

1 person likes this

On 1/26/2017 at 11:11 PM, zihyer said:

Yeah, disregard my comment then.  I'd say you have the color dialed in really well.

I like how you shortened the head spikes and extended the fabric wrap under the muzzle like the first of the two photos you just posted.  Great attention to detail there.  Overall, very impressed with this build.

The head spikes and blood spitters are custom 3D prints.

The eyes are the regular ones that I make out of PVC tube, but I've added another layer the original to give it a thicker look.

Some work on the harness.
This is before I finalised the harness placement. There's tape holding the rear/side straps in place at the back. 
Lots more details to go on, colouring and weathering..

front.jpg.f638fea490ff632cd44ba82f1d68ec8c.jpg

back.PNG.c6ae758ece93046e2916b043fbdd1235.PNG

side.thumb.PNG.93994298fd3de1b0a26c8caed36dbbcc.PNG

1 person likes this

Absolutely Great!!!

Well, all my photos didnt upload for some reason, so heres some that did load.

Harness front view

58ac2cfc5d0cb_harnessfront.thumb.jpg.2eb6214dfc04e7505345235f6b2d3b12.jpg

Details....

58ac2cf733910_harnessdetail1.thumb.jpg.63565a266bd38d77a5bd73da707abf3e.jpg

58ac2cf88cf9d_harnessdetail2.thumb.jpg.d71d44049ec6dd11557553e2a96787fb.jpg

I embedded a couple of small pieces of crystal in the harness to resemble something like a couple of polished krayt dragon pearls.

58ac2cf9a6b2e_harnessdetail3.thumb.jpg.17db098314aac3d2aba9ebabfb60d055.jpg

58ac2cfb4cd61_harnessdetail.thumb.jpg.d14ba42460eb6a430cd3aa5aabd903e9.jpg