tuscanfire

A new WIP Beginning

32 posts in this topic

Hello all. I am beginning my ANH raider build and wanted to ask a few questions. First the dyes, are you applying before you make the robes or after?

Second, this one is a bit tough for me. I don't want to come across as complaining or anything like that about standards and such. I think they are great as that's why the approved membership looks like jumped out of a movie scene. I am confused on the colors and weathered patterns and amounts for ANH tuskens. The main photo for the CRL is light with I'll call it light-medium weathering. The individual items are a different color all together and look more like the AOTC main photo. Carrying heavy color and weathering. Is there a right wrong?

Again...I'm new and I am a detail oriented person. As with many I don't want to fail on the approval. Would rather ask and hope to get a better understanding. The stunning blue pinstripes was a very small attempt at an outer robe. Pottery barn raider anyone?. ec3d488d8a631b1a97f741890936dc62.jpgI have read many pages here and views the reference photos often during my decision making process.

I plan to update my build with lots of photos. Thank you all

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Wash all your fabric first, then dye them and then construct your robes. It doesn't sound like you're complaining at all...just confused with the different photos showing a variety of weathering levels and color choices. I would base the colors off the film costumes and production photos...weathering is completely up to you and your GML as they will have input for you in that regard as well.

Welcome to the Clan!

1 person likes this

Thanks Arcturus. Should I contact them before the weathering process to get a take in their view, or should I just build weather and submit for approvals?

Here is the material for the inner robe. Preparing to make a dye solution for my costume. Going to work on it this weekend. What are your thoughts on dying times in coffee/tea. cd86a494ce11010954510d2dc858b455.jpg8d2a41694e1a7b5977f590b17d224705.jpg

Thanks for your thoughts.

Joeybloodstripes has a very good tutorial on dying, step by step and easy to follow.. I used RIT Tan dye for the dyeing of my inner robe. For weathering I made a large pot of coffee and boiled it on the stove until it was reduced by half in volume and sprayed it onto the robes until I got the desired weathering effect. Don't use dirt because some places you may troop are clean environments (hospitals). You could look on the forum and see many different ways, just make sure your material is pre-washed and shrunk ( I washed and dryed mine on the hottest setting) and put the material into the hot dye solution wet. 

Keep asking questions there are a lot of great people here to help.

Ok. Question. I have been working on my inner robe. Based off the CRL, I have followed the guidelines thus far. 9c9040c396df456ef701d89d43676640.jpg

My question is, I know the bottom is unhemed as we see in the CRL description. What about the sleeves? No mention of that. Do they need to fray? Can I surge a stop seam in it yo prevent raveling too far?

e452f0fe40e2d1b7d40d814870e842b9.jpg

Rear collar, I am using Velcro to seal aroun neck? Again no mention as to closure devices. Thoughts? What have you guys done. I don't see inner robe reference photos from behind so you guys are the best source I know.

83a45db76bca6b76b78b06ca720b4b55.jpg

Thanks for the input.

You put a collar in...very chic! Mine is just a cut opening at the top with no seaming...same for my sleeves. You could put a stop seam in, but the material doesn't fray that badly. Besides, these are scavengers for the most part and probably not too worried about their garments getting worn. My advice: think about who your character is and what they do out in the Jundland Wastes (or where ever your camp is) and work your robes accordingly to fit that character. My character rides out on his Bantha to the Wastes looking for moisture parts or parts that will work on condensers.

You put a collar in...very chic! Mine is just a cut opening at the top with no seaming...same for my sleeves. You could put a stop seam in, but the material doesn't fray that badly. Besides, these are scavengers for the most part and probably not too worried about their garments getting worn. My advice: think about who your character is and what they do out in the Jundland Wastes (or where ever your camp is) and work your robes accordingly to fit that character. My character rides out on his Bantha to the Wastes looking for moisture parts or parts that will work on condensers.

I will think on the role of the character as I am building the cycler rifle to accompany my costume. It's funny because I used to just watch the movies and now I study them for details. I added the "collar" copying the best I could the CRL reference.

bf13398ac0613208f4cb030ce8c64122.jpg

It looked to me like it was designed to cover part of the neck.

1 person likes this

First round of dye for inner robe. Photo shows wet hang dry.

a145776d81132de10d73fb00b71ac67d.jpg

Dried in th dryer

168c2bba88af59744f3d54603a9523bc.jpg

Going to weather this weekend. Using a BBQ brush for raveling. Brush is clean and new.

Any thoughts and advice on weathering would be great.

Take your time and add layers. Always think about areas that naturally get dirty, and hit those with the darker stuff. Then be sure to add some random spills or splatter.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

A couple layers f cooked down coffee, a few layers of acrylic paint mixed with water. I plan a little more then I need to trim the bottom for correct height. I read somewhere on the forum here about 2 inches above the ground.

66f5e2a3966d9aac01e8c2f867a53b74.jpg

Comments and advice welcome.

Looking great. You can try sponging some darker paints along the dirtiest points if you really want to weather it up. But looking very fine.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

You could also make a pot of coffee, when done reduce the volume on the stove by boiling it. Once cooled put into a spray bottle and use that t weather. On the hard lines of the coffee I sprayed with a different bottle some plain water and it gave it a nice faded look. I takes a few times to get it just right. 

Here is my final. I plan to leave as is now. I have heat set in the dryer twice. I like the dirty look and plan to go the same route with outer robe.

Front view

850695399afc2740cecfc7da2c4cd1c6.jpg

Rear view

377b5c2869426a958662fb941d840a19.jpg

Any thoughts on this are welcomed.

3 people like this

Looks good. Nice and dirty. 

Looks good. Nice and dirty. 

Thanks Reela. I plan to leave this as it is now and call it finished. I'm on to the gloves and arm wraps.

Great progress! 

An outer robe fitting. Started off as 8 yes 4 inches of monks cloth. It is now sized and ready for weathering. Plan to dye with coffee and use paint to dirty it up. No shoulder seams. 2 panels sewn up the back.

53175dd6c5da71ad70202a1d4a515835.jpg

Second view416005e0e3ee30ca3641ba5c18c7971d.jpg

Your thoughts are appreciated. Almost finished. Once weathering is complete it is on to the darth hair mask.

1 person likes this

Looking good!

I did a dye test tonight in small scale. Coffee. Drinking strength. Each square was placed in the bath for (left to right) 40, 10, and 5 minutes. Brand of coffee is McDonald's. (I used cafe bustelo for the inner robe. )

d4c4bfb9b6e80666a7c075fb76348ea8.jpg

I believe that 30 minutes and the paint treatment will cover the needed weathering.

1 person likes this

Nice test photo! I can't wait to see your finished Tusken! The test fit with the undyed monks cloth makes me cringe (only because it is so clean!!!) :-P 

Very cool, nice job!

It's been a while. Beginning to catch up. On to the helmet now. Question, eye greebles...

Canted

bb06fc63eec86bfaea169bb7dc833246.jpg

Or horizontal level?

ad25b5a3574a53b2883da4e9d692b160.jpg

Thanks for the feedback!