pigelectric

WIP - Sound Effects Glove Project

pigelectric    173

I have decided to document my attempt at a sound effects glove, since certain other people that did it effectively have way better things to do in their life than post here. I do not mean that sarcastically - I'm serious, their lives are awesome and involve baby goats and archery and families and stuff. I don't have a cool life, so here we go. Hopefully this helps others and/or others can post here to help me!!!

1. The Parts

2. The Process

1. Follow the directions to load sounds onto the recording module (make sure they are mp3s, you can convert the wav to mp3). I couldn't get it to work on Windows 10 (which the maker says they do NOT support) but got it to work on Windows 7 after a few attempts. FYI I am an IT professional, and considered pretty darn technical. SO I was a little annoyed at what a pain this part was. But it's doable as long as you have the right OS and some patience. The four sounds I chose were new-tuskan-sentance02-tk0580, tuskan5, tuskan15b and tusken_raider.

2. Aker arrived but new gloves are TOO small. Jeez, I feel like Goldilocks here. 

3. To Do

-I want to enclose the circuit board in a casing, since uhm you know. Sweat. Yick. I have something that might work but if not, I'm keeping an eye out. Open for recommendations.

-Attach/mount/figure out best way to get touch sensors into finger-ish area. Might mount it to a bike glove that can be worn under the tusken glove.

QfxejNxm.jpg

• Like 3

Kayelbe    20

I've got one of these that I have been meaning to use for my daughter's Jawa, if I ever get around to it.  Might want to extend the wires for the buttons so that you can place your soundboard in a pouch or wherever away from your hand.  I've got some 3/8" corrugated loom that I plan to put the wiring in and run up her arm.  I'm thinking I'll sew up some velcro/elastic loops to keep it in place around her arm.

• Like 1

Kayelbe    20

I haven't tried yet, but the idea in my head is to put sticky back velcro on the back of the button pads and corresponding velcro sewn onto the glove in the palm.  That way, it's removable and easier to get on/off.  The wiring rig will slide on kinda like a sleeve with the elastic loops holding the  loom.  The loops will be sewn in a sort of figure 8 with the much larger part going over her arm and the smaller loop around the loom.  I think I might just put all the electronics in a project box and hang it around her neck, under the robe.

• Like 1

DannytheBlue    28

I do love the Idea of these sound gloves , but I'm thinking I my just get a cheap mp3 have the sounds on random run through the Aker Amp .Problem is switching it on and off!! I will continue to follow this thread though you may yet turn me to the sound glove side!!!

• Like 1

pigelectric    173

@DannytheBlue yah there has to be a way to easily trigger a sound. Maybe via a bluetooth link?? Or a small mp3 player that has one button you can touch that will cycle through sounds?

Ahdeska    31
1 hour ago, DannytheBlue said:

I do love the Idea of these sound gloves , but I'm thinking I my just get a cheap mp3 have the sounds on random run through the Aker Amp .Problem is switching it on and off!! I will continue to follow this thread though you may yet turn me to the sound glove side!!!

1 hour ago, pigelectric said:

@DannytheBlue yah there has to be a way to easily trigger a sound. Maybe via a bluetooth link?? Or a small mp3 player that has one button you can touch that will cycle through sounds?

Can either of you tell me if the sound module you are using activates the sound through a high pin or a low pin?

DannytheBlue    28
6 hours ago, Ahdeska said:

Can either of you tell me if the sound module you are using activates the sound through a high pin or a low pin?

Sorry dude I hav'nt got a clue!! ;)

Ahdeska    31

@pigelectric, @DannytheBlue  I am waiting on a response from E123, as the site materials didn't provide any info on the high or low pin trigger.  My thoughts are, if the audio on the sound glove board are triggered by a high input/pin, then an RF receiver can be used to trigger the audio soundboard via a 4 button key fob. 

Press fob button 1 = transmits to RF receiver = RF receiver sends out high signal = high signal triggers wired/connected sound board trigger = audio to speaker = :DZ: Urrrr Urrr Urrr 

Then you have a wireless trigger to an RF sound module put anywhere on your (sand) person.  Wrap the fob to your gaffi, in your sleeve, sewn in your glove, or anywhere you feel it is comfy or convenient. 

• Like 2

Sam Crow    34

Sorry too many babies this month to get on here much. My setup is pretty rudimentary I had hoped to finish it out a little better before I posted. You have everything you need, I just superglued the pads to the back inside of my gloves so they rested on my fingernails and the made the "ok" sign to activate on any of my 4 fingers. That way I could use my hand and not have it go off by mistake.

Sent from my SM-N910T using Tapatalk

• Like 1

zihyer    218

Geeeeeking out Pigggie!! I love it.  I took the same approach as you and I think you may have already seen it but here's mine:  I think the sound is low so you may have to turn it up a bit to hear the actual sounds.

• Like 2

TI9327    3

Nice design. I like how you added it to each finger.

I made my own sound glove as well, but took a different approach. I bought a wav trigger from Adafruit and sewed it to a glove using conductive thread.

https://vimeo.com/162913610

• Like 1

Kayelbe    20
3 hours ago, TI9327 said:

I made my own sound glove as well, but took a different approach. I bought a wav trigger from Adafruit and sewed it to a glove using conductive thread.

Where did you get the base glove?

TI9327    3

Where did you get the base glove?

It's a wrist compression sleeve from Amazon.

• Like 2

pigelectric    173

@zihyer wait wait wait.. network cable? Whut? GIVE US SOME TECHNICAL SPECS, MAN!!

@TI9327 Oh wow, I was thinking about going the adafruit route, too. Do you have a build thread on how you did that? More deets please!!

pigelectric    173

Thank you - my niece is really into adafruit and has a 3D printer as well (that she built on her own when she was 11!). I'm going to work on this project with her directly after her finals. I figured it'd be a fun aunt/niece project :)

• Like 1

pigelectric    173

OK I Lied. I superglued the sound pads to the inside of my gloves. Well,  my new gloves are already too small. So when you glue in sound pads, they'll get triggered when you make a fist.. or grab your gaffi. So much fail sauce. So I'll uhm figure that out. I can't seem to find gloves in person to try on sizes. So now I have one pair that is too big and one that is too small.