Sign in to follow this  
unclesven

Gamorrean research

Hi all, 

I just joined the forum since I've recently started researching a future build of a Gamorrean. I have a TK since before, but I guess it's time to take the plunge into the sand box. From what I understand (been reading all GG threads dating back a few years on the forum) there are mainly two (more or less) active suppliers of mask+extra stuff, from UK and NZ. Do you guys have any recent experience from ordering, and what would you recommend? I reckon it would be best to start with ordering the basic kit since this will probably take some time, and then I can start working on all the other stuff. 

cheers

/christian

So, it might seem a bit quite in this thread, but I've got some good feedback from some of you through PM. Thanks guys! I've now ordered a kit, so I'm looking forward to getting this. However, there is a ton of other stuff I have to do in the meantime involving axes, nappies, leather and so on. I'll post updates as things move along. Can't wait to get out of this white plastic and into some funky latex and leather :-) 

cheers

I found some fur and foam so I thought I'd start trying out getting the nappy together, just to get this show on the road. 

20160427_214807_001_zpsuskpyz2s.jpg

Also I've been looking into electronics for the sound. I guess the easiest solution is to use some ppt-wire connected to a acer or something similar. I'm using this for my TK, although I reckon it needs to be more encased in plastic (I have a slight feeling that sweat will be a constant companion in a suit like this). Any suggestions relating to this (or other stuff) is appreciated. 

cheers

My chest section is thick foam and I have a square piece of foam cut out for the aker amp and sound box to sit into, It stays flush and gets covered with the leather jacket.

I then have a small button on my finger to play my grunt sounds.

No sweat got into mine as I wear a TK under suit and that soaks it all up.

8 hours ago, mkc2 said:

My chest section is thick foam and I have a square piece of foam cut out for the aker amp and sound box to sit into, It stays flush and gets covered with the leather jacket.

I then have a small button on my finger to play my grunt sounds.

No sweat got into mine as I wear a TK under suit and that soaks it all up.

Thanks for the tip. I will try to look at different solutions for doing the foam cover. 

23 hours ago, Darthman said:

Do you happen to have the contact info for the supplier you used? 

PM sent. 

cheers

/christian

Slow progress here since I'm waiting for the ordered kit. But at least I found a leather sofa now, that I could cannibalize for the leather. I guess this will be quite good. Appropriately worn. I also finally ordered and received part for the strapping system that I'm going to use for the nappy and upper body structure. 

20160623_220129_zpsytuvy1ap.jpg

So I just got my kit today. It seems quite good, and I'm definitely happy with it so far. I will step up my work with this now, and will probably pester you guys with a lot of questions and requests for advice the coming months :-)

20160803_194647_zpstndwpfcx.jpg

20160803_194533_zpskw4ozdlz.jpg

• Like 1

The latex seems to be fine. I was a little bit worried since reading some of the earlier threads, but I think it looks good. Sure, there are some minor bubbles or other imperfections, but overall I'm happy with it. I think it will work well. All parts seem to fit ok-ish, but I have to do some cutting in the upper arm hole to get my arm in. I will do this most carefully :-) 

I've been looking at different solutions for the sound system. I was thinking of doing something along the lines of this:

http://tkpeggy.blogspot.se/2014/09/sound-systems-for-jawas-and-tuskens.html

What solutions for sound are you guys using for your gamorreans? Does there exist some all-included pre-built kit that would work out of the box? 

Thanks mate. That adafruit looks quite good. I also have a Aker 1506 I used to use for my TK laying around somewhere. 

I've been trying different solutions for padding the mask. I've been using similar foam that I used for the stormtrooper helmet. However, the mask is much more front-heavy than the helmet, and it tends to kinda fall down over my nose. Having foam in the snout area to make it more stable only adds to the weight in the front. How have you guys solved this? Do you use foam also, and how do you make it stay put? Cheers.  

I just used a full hard hat and glued that in with some foam in the cheek areas, There's not alot you can do as it will always be front heavy but if you get your eyes setup the mask will sort of rest on your chest.

The hard hat can be made tighter to hold it in place which may help a little then just pack out any spots that need some filling with form peices.

At the end of the day I went with the lining of a hard hat that I put into a beanie. Then I put some foam between the eyes also which stabilized the whole thing substantially. Right now the foam is just put in place with some duct tape, but I will fasten this more properly. But I can move the head very easily and it sits spot on now, even without any support from the chest. 

20160815_202222_zps1fdl6h6v.jpg

How many leather straps do you have around the shoulder pauldrons? In the CRL full body picture it shows two straps (in the behind picture), while the detailed picture of the pauldron only shows one strap (unless the other one is hidden underneath the pauldron).

By the way, do you know who is responsible for the Gamorrean CRL? 

Thanks

/christian

I only have 1 strap and that reference picture is not very accurate, Made in New Zealand I think.

Gamorrean Craig has the most accurate costume on the planet.

This detachment and the 501st make the changes. Speak to the command staff.

Thank for the input. I also use one strap since this is what I've seen most people use and also it feels like the most obvious way to do it.

I'll see if I can make contact with the command staff once approval time approaches 

cheers