Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Talkren

ANH -Progress on the robes

16 posts in this topic

So after a long break due to holidays and work I was able to get back to working on my costume. So I got the cloth for my inner and outer robe (inner:osnaburg and outer:monk's cloth) about 2 weeks ago. I spent some time dying them with tea and coffee and a combination of the two and everything turned out good shades so far so I am pretty happy. I expected the monk's cloth to shrink and shrink it did which was no issue as I had planed for this by getting 8 yards. Got everything sewn up with help from the wonderful wife and we got something that looked pretty good sans weathering. 

UdjzKUul.jpg

This is before weathering. Outer robe was at a pretty good length that I was happy with. It seems a bit long but I was bare foot and had measured it while wearing boots. I then began to weather the inner and outer robe using one of my favorite methods, spraying on watered down acrylic paint. This seemed to unshrink the fabric at this point. So now it looks WAY too long. 

ztfWmqSl.jpg

Right now I have it in the dryer on the hottest heat hopping it shrinks down enough again that I don't need to trim. But if it doesn't I am going to trim and re-weather. Here are the rest of the images. Let me know what you think!

1sSjylal.jpg

FU9SbIgl.jpg

tgLI21Vl.jpg

Only things left on my checklist are waist sash, waist bandolier, breather, and boots. Let me know what you think. Always looking for ideas and help. 

Looks like you're off to a good start...  I'm just a bit concerned about the length.  

Having costume bits dragging behind you is asking for disaster, in my opinion. Either you can get caught up in it when turning or some other half blind bucket head accidently steps on it from behind.

But I do like how it's coming along, the darker colors on the bottom edge is pretty much spot on.  Will look forward to more updates and pics.

Yep, good news is it shrunk up in the dryer so it is shorter again, bad news is I think I still need to trim it. Going to finish weathering to my liking and then we will see. The intention was not to be this long, I wanted it to end an inch above the ground but the monks cloth is a going back and forth on what length it wants to be. 

I thought it was just me that the cloth did that. 

A little bit of drag is one thing so long as it's not immediately in front of your feet, but you certainly don't want to be dragging around a train.

1 person likes this

After further weathering, and a lot of trimming we now are at a place I am pretty happy with. This is after about 4 rounds of watered down acrylic sprayed on 

wrI8xx4l.jpg

Back view (of course) 

zdgqnByl.jpg

I tried to go with that kind of sun ray look where all the lines point in so you can see some splochy-ness when the arms are down 

Arms down back view. 
fWUZWe4l.jpg

It still looks a bit long in the pictures but after a round in the dryer blasting hottest heat it will be the right size again. It just got longer after the last round of weathering. 

Bonus picture of my son peeking through the arm while I was working on the outer robe. 

jkSh3vWl.jpg

2 people like this

I cut a full eight inches off my outter robe when I first got it measure and another 3 after i weathered it. You will find tgat monks cloth stretches (especially when wet). You will trip on it if your not careful.

1 person likes this

6 hours ago, Joey Bloodstripes said:

I cut a full eight inches off my outter robe when I first got it measure and another 3 after i weathered it. You will find tgat monks cloth stretches (especially when wet). You will trip on it if your not careful.

Yep, another round in the dryer shrunk this right up. Once I get my boots and I am able to test walking around in it better, then I am going to see how it is for mobility and trim it accordingly. I feel like I am so close but I have a bunch more to go on the costume as a whole. 

Also if anyone has any feedback on the weathering, it would be much appreciated. It is layers of watered down acrylic applied from a spray bottle. 

The weathering looks fantastic to me!!! think I will try a simular method , what colours in the paints did you use?

1 person likes this

24 minutes ago, DannytheBlue said:

The weathering looks fantastic to me!!! think I will try a simular method , what colours in the paints did you use?

75% Forest Brown, 15% Mars Black, and 10% Crimson. I got all the paints at a local Michael's for cheap. 

EDIT: I did different blends of these three colors for different layers, that is just the combo i used for the bulk of it. Also, keep in mind that what color your spray on will be much lighter when dry unless you make the water and paint mixture very dark. It can be scary when you spray it on and it looks super dark. 

1 person likes this

lol.. tell me about it... but I continue to layer mine... let it dry.. then layer.. let it dry then layer... I am often told to stop but I like the robes dirty... 

1 person likes this

18 minutes ago, Joey Bloodstripes said:

lol.. tell me about it... but I continue to layer mine... let it dry.. then layer.. let it dry then layer... I am often told to stop but I like the robes dirty... 

Same here. We are talking about a group of dessert dwellers who never remove their clothes or wash them. I think they should be really dirty. I have seen some clean Tuskens out there and it looks off to me. 

1 person likes this

Just now, Talkren said:

Same here. We are talking about a group of dessert dwellers who never remove their clothes or wash them. I think they should be really dirty. I have seen some clean Tuskens out there and it looks off to me. 

LOL.. me too... 

1 person likes this

Wow! Been a long time sense an update. I assure you though that it has always been stuck on the front of my mind. Due to life and job changes I had to put the suit on the back burner for a couple of months but with Halloween season here again I was able to wiggle some budget out for it. From my last update I have weathered more, and more, and more. I have gotten the arm wraps done and a few other bits and bobs. I just got my boots in today and so I will be working on that very soon. I have the breather, Gaffi, waist bandolier, and a bit more weathering to do on the gloves before I think about submitting. Let me know what you guys think. 

mt55HtHl.jpg

My wife and I posing. Trying to get the waist bandolier done by the end of this month, really looks odd to me without it. 
Direct Link: http://imgur.com/mt55HtH

GUmqWacl.jpg

Goofing off but it shows a good shot of the arm wraps and how those look. 

Direct Link: http://imgur.com/GUmqWac

msEaIVcl.jpg

Horrible yellow porch lighting but shows full body. 

Direct Link: http://imgur.com/msEaIVc

Thanks guys, let me know what you think. 

1 person likes this

Looks good to me! Any progress?

How is the acrylic paint holding up, does it rub off at all?

1 person likes this

On 1/8/2017 at 5:06 PM, torerik said:

Looks good to me! Any progress?

How is the acrylic paint holding up, does it rub off at all?

Sorry for not seeing this sooner! No it does not rub off at all, only problem is getting it wet. I just finished the boots about a week ago and I am waiting on my breather in the mail. After that, it's all done and I will submit it to my GM.