Jump to content
DarthCat

concern regarding tusken mask

Recommended Posts

I hope this is allowed & that this is the correct area to post this. If it's not allowed, feel free to delete it & if this is the wrong area to post this, please let me know. I would love to do a tusken female costume, but I have recently learned about issues people have had with the masks. They've said the masks are very claustrophobic, hot, & generally uncomfortable. I was wondering if anyone had any tips to help with these issues? Any advice would be very much appreciated. Thanks.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I think most masks, to some degree or another, can be hot and boxed in - some more than others.  The biggest problem the female Tusken has going for it is the lack of ventilation.  From what I understand, and in my own personal experience, it's more the lack of fresh air, than the sight limitation, that makes the mask unbearable for long periods.

Many of the more closed in masks/helmets have some sort of bottom ventilation (unless we're talking about an Imperial Guard).  This open bottom can be capitalized on with the addition of fans but in the case of female Tuskens (and males to some degree since the wraps are 'tucked in') there is little access to outside air.  You can get creative with ventilation though.  I've seen forced-air systems rigged up inside of Gamorrean Guards that use actual ducting to "pipe" fresh air into the helmet and body areas.

Having worn an Imperial Guard (probably the most claustrophobia - inducing helmet) for a length of time, I can definitely see where having any sort of aversion to closed in helmets would rule out many of the more closed in - type masks.  My suggestion would be to find someone with a female (or even male) mask and wear it for a while.  Work on the computer, do some dishes, yardwork, etc. and see how it goes.   Maybe this would give you some idea of whether or not you could tolerate it.

Or consider a male Tusken which has considerably more air flow potential.  That is, if you're not too dead set on the female.  There are plenty of girls sporting the male Tusken kits. :)

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Hi,

Firstly congrats for your choice. About the mask: is notclaustrophobic. I can sugest you the confidence seller, Steve Gray, (Tusken Outfitters - Facebook) his masks is very accurate and have good quality. He also sells bracelets, boar horns for bag, male masks, etc... Check his page HERE

The warm inside mask is depending on person, have people that sweat more than another.

That way from my experience I think its your better choice. Hope you enjoy it ! Here in forum you have lots of resources for begin your costume !

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Perhaps wearing moisture wicking material over your head whilst in bucket. I wear a dew rag from Sally Beauty Supply on all my costumes. Works wonders on heat and humidity!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 11/22/2015, 10:07:52, zihyer said:

I think most masks, to some degree or another, can be hot and boxed in - some more than others.  The biggest problem the female Tusken has going for it is the lack of ventilation.  From what I understand, and in my own personal experience, it's more the lack of fresh air, than the sight limitation, that makes the mask unbearable for long periods.

Many of the more closed in masks/helmets have some sort of bottom ventilation (unless we're talking about an Imperial Guard).  This open bottom can be capitalized on with the addition of fans but in the case of female Tuskens (and males to some degree since the wraps are 'tucked in') there is little access to outside air.  You can get creative with ventilation though.  I've seen forced-air systems rigged up inside of Gamorrean Guards that use actual ducting to "pipe" fresh air into the helmet and body areas.

Having worn an Imperial Guard (probably the most claustrophobia - inducing helmet) for a length of time, I can definitely see where having any sort of aversion to closed in helmets would rule out many of the more closed in - type masks.  My suggestion would be to find someone with a female (or even male) mask and wear it for a while.  Work on the computer, do some dishes, yardwork, etc. and see how it goes.   Maybe this would give you some idea of whether or not you could tolerate it.

Or consider a male Tusken which has considerably more air flow potential.  That is, if you're not too dead set on the female.  There are plenty of girls sporting the male Tusken kits. :)

When you talk about the Gamorrean guards using "actual ducting to "pipe" fresh air", what exactly do you mean? Also, I would do what you suggested- finding someone with a female tusken mask if there were anyone local who had one. Unfortunately, it looks like there 1s 1 person who has one & I think it's her only costume. You said the Imperial Guard helmet is really claustrophobic, but what about the blue senate guards?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, garbz said:

Perhaps wearing moisture wicking material over your head whilst in bucket. I wear a dew rag from Sally Beauty Supply on all my costumes. Works wonders on heat and humidity!

Which costume do you wear the dew rag with? How long does it usually last? Also, what do you mean by "moisture wicking material" & "bucket" (I know that refers to a clone trooper/ storm trooper helmet)?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, abilio30 said:

Hi,

Firstly congrats for your choice. About the mask: is notclaustrophobic. I can sugest you the confidence seller, Steve Gray, (Tusken Outfitters - Facebook) his masks is very accurate and have good quality. He also sells bracelets, boar horns for bag, male masks, etc... Check his page HERE

The warm inside mask is depending on person, have people that sweat more than another.

That way from my experience I think its your better choice. Hope you enjoy it ! Here in forum you have lots of resources for begin your costume !

So, let me get this straight because I'm having a bit of trouble understanding what you're saying: you're saying for a non-claustrophobic mask, you suggest Steve Gray's masks? You're also saying the temperature inside the mask depends on the person, that some people sweat more than others, correct? What do you mean by the last part though (from "that way from my experience")? Did I get all this right?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I suggest Steves Masks because theyr are great and have good quality. But the others masks should be like these... Female is not claustrophobic... Imperial guard it is...

And from my experience because i have a female tusken raider.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, abilio30 said:

I suggest Steves Masks because theyr are great and have good quality. But the others masks should be like these... Female is not claustrophobic... Imperial guard it is...

And from my experience because i have a female tusken raider.

So the claustrophobia varies from person to person. I guess not everyone gets claustrophobic in the female mask.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I use the dew rag in a snow trooper and a stormtrooper costume. It last forever! Wicking material = wool, Shamwow material or any of the athletic fabric.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, garbz said:

I use the dew rag in a snow trooper and a stormtrooper costume. It last forever! Wicking material = wool, Shamwow material or any of the athletic fabric.

Great that it lasts that long! Also, what exactly is a dew rag anyway? I've never heard of it. So, a Shamwow could be used as wicking material? Also, what would you suggest to help with the ventilation problem? Do you currently use any of the methods you mentioned in a tusken raider mask?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I use a Shamwow towel piece in my chin guards of my Mechanical Crew and my X wing helmet.

A dew rag or du rag is a cap that pulls the moisture from your scalp and keeps you cool.

EVS Sports Sweat Beanie 2-Pack [1-Black & 1-White] https://www.amazon.com/dp/B017GE5GA6/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_awd_4avvwb5SRJJBP

Here's me with one on at a Rockies game:

13FD147D-3B71-4700-87D8-1BB534E1D6C4_zpsjcb6eupq.jpg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Sorry for the late reply darthcat. I saw somewhere where someone had taken a canister and somehow rigged it up to hold dry ice. Then he had a fan rigged up to a ducting system that pulled cold air in across the dry ice and then routed it towards the inside of the costume. 

It may have been on the RPF. I honestly don't remember. It was around when I was looking at doing a Comorian card. I'll look around and see if I can find the thread or post.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 11/24/2015 at 9:36 PM, DarthCat said:

So the claustrophobia varies from person to person. I guess not everyone gets claustrophobic in the female mask.

i do not get claustrophobic in my mask. my only problems with it are the difficulty in vision (i have to watch out for little kids since i can't see below my shoulders) and the heat. i only wear my tusken indoors. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Claustrophobia is a personal issue.  This costume is rather good for space inside the mask and for vision compared to other costumes.  Air supply. though, is a big issue.  I dealt with it with a fan set up that you can see in my build thread here: 

By bringing fresh air in you will feel cooler and fresher which should aid in any feelings of discomfort.

Do your research on mask kits.  There are not as many options as there once were and they all stray from accuracy to some degree.  As a GML I would discourage the purchase of some of them as they just don't look right.  Cast resin will always be superior to vac-formed parts as it will capture more detail in, what is a highly detailed element of this costume.    A good, accurate kit will cost no more than others so do your research and speak to your GML about preferred options.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

My main is a royal guard so yeah they are extremely hot however it CAN be worked around. I run a rigged a/c in it which means I can go up to 3 hours in the sucker ( possibly more if I pushed and the batteries don't die!). I have a male tusken and run two fans inside. All the masks/helmets will be warm to some extent. That goes with the territory. Squirrel fans definitely are a big help for the overheating and it also depends on the person yes. Some people just handle heat better. I can go 3 hours in a guard, my wife 1.5 and then she needs a break to cool off for example. 

I agree with seeing if someone has one and trying it on, getting a feel for it. It will help. If you are claustrophobic, absolutely try it on. This will also give you a good idea on sight lines. Male tusken has a very narrow field of vision I find, while my guard has great vision in front and sides, but straight down is a major blindspot for example.

The other aspect to see is looking at different build threads to see what others have done to mitigate the heat issue, and or come up with a/c rigging. The wife's female tusken likely could use our guard rigs for example. Running two O2 personal fans attached to a belt, with flextubing running up the neck and into the helmet to pump cold air. Guard visor was glued in but space left so it is not fully sealed allowing the air to pump out. Only drawback is it makes it hard to hear in the bucket but then we had that issue anyways so...

 

Biggest thing just do the homework and try it on I think is going to be your first step there!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×