Arcturus1020

Tutorial: ANH waist pouch construction (photo heavy)

Often, there is a button on print settings to print to __Fit or __Actual Size.  If you use the 'Actual Size' button, it can force it to print to the scale it was originally make at.  Fit will always reduce to one page.

• Like 1

On 11/1/2016 at 1:04 AM, Arcturus1020 said:

If you all have pics of your waist belt, please post them up here...I'd love to see the results!!!

Post roughing but pre weathering. Waiting till I have my full kit together so I can weather everything in one shot and keep the weathering colours the same across the whole kit.20160811_091649.jpg20160811_103908.jpg20160811_103917.jpg

• Like 1

You're welcome!

I used the smaller strap template and marked the holes on the backs of the pouches (using a T-square to make sure they're all straight). The leather punch I have has removable heads so I removed the head and marked each hole then used a hammer and punched them all out. The same was done for the front of the Sam Browne buttons for the front.

back1_zpsaca1d2f6.jpg

back2_zpsc94b1d52.jpg

Next I used some Neatsfoot Oil and rubbed some into each pouch. Nothing complicated here, just put some on a clean cloth or buffing pad and rub it in. You may want to try some out on a scrap piece of leather.

oiled_zps53963a95.jpg

After the oil was dry, I put the Sam Browne buttons (rivets) in and now they're ready for the backs to get glued and riveted together with the belt straps. Unfortunately, the buttons don't all line up with each other perfectly because of how the flaps stretched and dried. Oh well . . . I'll put the ones that line up best next to each other and put the others that don't toward the outer edges.

SamBrowne_zpsfe591173.jpg

How many mm are the Sam Brown buttons, what size did you use is it 5mm

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Oh, I'm not finished with the weathering on them yet! Once I get everything fully assembled then I'll go to finish on them.

*edit* Looks like the mail carrier delivered my goodies today—looks like I'll be wrapping this up today then! [tusken2]

Where can I find Neatsfoot Oil please

43 minutes ago, TD20574 said:

Where can I find Neatsfoot Oil please

It is available at many locations.  I just Googled it and came up with Walmart, Tractor Supply and Amazon.  Tandy Leather has it in small bottles.  Saddle and Tack shops should also carry it

• Like 2

On January 20, 2017 at 5:31 AM, TD20574 said:

How many mm are the Sam Brown buttons, what size did you use is it 5mm

(from page 2)

4 hours ago, TD20574 said:

Where did you get leather

The leather is from a cow.

• Like 3

Where did you get leather

The leather is from a cow.

Hahaha I thought that much I meant where did you buy what store ? :))

Gonna knock this build out with vinyl this week - eventually I will use real leather when I have more money to spend on tools and materials. 

Thanks for the great how-to and pattern James! :DZ:

• Like 1

I updated the first post with a list of items, links, and cost of the project. Don't let the costs scare you from doing this...you can always substitute things and do without certain others. ;)

• Like 1

I posted in my build thread, but here is the pouches I made using Arcturus' templates and tan vinyl leather.

Supplies used:

1 Yard of Tan Vinyl/Marine Leather from Jo-Ann's (Used 50% off Coupon) - $10

Chocolate Brown Acrylic Paint from Hobby Lobby - $0.77

Antique Brass Snaps from Hobby Lobby - $3.49

I used Hot Glue and Gorilla Glue Gel to secure folds. - $5.00

Total Cost - Less than $25.00

I weathered with chocolate brown acrylic paint by wiping down the whole pouch with paint, then immediately wiped off with a paper towel. I then sanded randomly by pinching up material and sanding the high spots.

I also made the belt from a 4" wide strip of vinyl that I folded in half to 2" - I then secured it with velcro.

17103507_10104111405971389_4572888787067

17155333_10104111406001329_5953324361869

Thanks again Arcturus for the pattern and excellent how-to. I definitely plan on revisiting this build with real leather, but overall I am very happy with my results with vinyl leather.

• Like 1

This thread is fantastic. Thanks Arcturus for putting this together. 

I have a question for anyone that has used the template as currently documented on the first page. Assuming that my print out of the template is accurate, I get 6" across the bottom section, with a height of 4.5" on that bottom section. The upper flap section being roughly 2.5" across/wide. That upper section essentially dictates what the width of the pouch will be. According to the write up, the desire is to get a 3.5" by 5.5" pouch. With the dimensions of the template as is, I don't see how you can get a 3.5 X 5.5 inch pouch dimensions? Maybe 3x5, but that pushing it. I cut a piece of leather to these dimensions and I do not get anywhere close to those dimensions.

I have modified the dimensions a tie bit by essentially adding 1/4 to 1/2 inch on each side, so my modified template is 7" across the bottom by 5" height on the bottom section. Then 3" across on the top section (again, which essentially dictates the width of the pouch when put together. With these  changes to the template, I still do not get a 3.5 x 5.5 inch pouch, but at least I am closer (BTW, I think 3.5x5.5 is a tad too big IMO) Even with these small changes in the template, there is a considerable change in the appearance. The original template dimensions I think the pouch is too small. With the modified template, I question if they are too large (even if they are not 3.5x5.5). Any feedback on experience from folks who have used this write up would be greatly appreciated.

Also, any thoughts on leather size? I am questioning whether or not 4-5oz shoulders is thick enough as opposed to going the next size up at 6-7oz. If the price is the same for either, would you go with the 4-5 or the 6-7?

Thanks.

J.

The template provided in this thread (see page 1, March 21, 2014 entry) comes up fine for me. Did you try that one?

The template provided in this thread (see page 1, March 21, 2014 entry) comes up fine for me. Did you try that one?

I did. Says there is a problem with the forum. Contact admin with a frowning face. Is it a pdf?

On November 4, 2017 at 7:10 AM, Tuskenfire said:

I did. Says there is a problem with the forum. Contact admin with a frowning face. Is it a pdf?

Sorry for the delay in responding... each time I remembered, I was not at a computer to check. It comes up for me as a jpeg (.jpg). Did you try right clicking it and saving the linked file onto your drive? That is one way to try it which works for me. Nonetheless, I will see if I can PM you a copy of the file.