zhunter

Cheap and easy Eyes.

27 posts in this topic

I came across these at Micheal's, for cheap and easy Jawa eyes.

For the eyes I used these submersible LED lights. The have the batteries self contained and you twist to turn on. No wires to run!

They also come in a 12 pack. Having spare ones wouldn’t be a bad idea.

http://www.michaels.com/on/demandware.store/Sites-MichaelsCanada-Site/default/Product-Show?pid=C_fl1249

They come in different colors. Be sure to get the clear (white) ones.

JawaEyes-582x1024.jpg

Here’s how they break down. They use two 3 Volt flat batteries. The base of the clean dome is 1.25 inches!

IMG_1017-300x225.jpg IMG_1018-300x225.jpg IMG_1019-300x128.jpg

IMG_1021-298x300.jpg

Here’s the connectors for the LED. So if you wanted to wire them up to a different  battery you could. Don't know how long these will last.

They are meant to use at events like weddings and such. So I figure maybe around 6-8 hours? Plenty of time for your average troop.

IMG_1020-300x269.jpg

Here’s how they look installed.

ANH_Jawa_HoodMask.jpg

2 people like this

Did you paint the domes the orange?

The orange color*

Did you paint the domes the orange?

Yep I did. On the inside.

Awesome! How long have the batteries lasted?

I don't know. Haven't trooped it yet. Once I find out. I will report back.

I bought these yesterday, and you have found a great way to make eyes! Thank you for the info. post-2428-137492455187_thumb.jpg

2 people like this

I trooped my Jawa for the first time this past Tuesday. I was in costume for about 3.5 hours and the eyes are still going. :) So far so good.

Great news! Thank you.

I bought these also and they seem to be perfect for the eyes. I am having trouble getting an even paint job of the lenses. I am trying to get a thin coat without air bubbles and brush marks. The paint does not sit evenly in the lenses very easily. I am using acrylic paint. Can anyone offer advice on applying an even coat of paint?

What I am trying right now is.. Filling the lens with paint, letting it sit for a few minutes, then running it under water lightly to wash out the excess. this leaves a thin layer of paint that is uneven. I am going to let that dry, and then repeat. Hopefully two or three thin layers like this will give an even paint job.

Any other advice?

Thank you!

you have to wash the acryllic lenses and let them dry or the paint will bubble a bit in it.

How do these eyes turn on? Do they twist on? I'm getting ready for my first Jawa build and looking into every option available. Thanks

Yes you twist them. I removed the batteries and drilled holes to solder an external battery pack wires to the leads though

2 people like this

Excellent plan! Thank you very much! It looks great. I'm slowly gathering my supplies for my Jawa. The 501st Midwest Garrison came to our parade a couple weeks ago and I fell in love with what they do! Such nice people and doing great things for a phenomenal cause. They inspired at least 4 people to start building their own costumes. The kids faces as our float passed with these movie quality costumes was inspiring. This small town in Southern Illinois had never seen anything like them! More I want to be a part of that and help raise money for charities and put smiles on kids faces too. :)

2 people like this

This is the part that I was really getting stumped on (the eyes) !  

THANK YOU!  Now I must go to Michael's!!!!!! 

I was able to pick up the submersible LED lights @ 50% off there today, plus the amber Testors translucent enamel and a pack of fine sandpaper for modeling.  

Let's see how this works out!   [jawa2]  

those are sweet lights, I wish I read this while I was south of the border last weekend, as I would have picked up a few. They don;t seem to have these listed in the Canadian Michaels website. I will have to go to the store to see if I can get lucky and find some. 

Found them in Toronto Michaels. 4-pack $11.99

Ouch.

Thanks for this info. 

yep I have these, you just need to paint domes which was the hardest part. Alcohol paint is best bet with yellow candy wrapper paper to diffuse light.

1 person likes this

I picked up a 4 pack today and some of the Amber model paint giving it a go at this very second

Sent from my SM-G935T using Tapatalk