BrianWeckerly

Definitive Pattern for Robe and Hood?

13 posts in this topic

I've seen several pattens online for jawa robes and hoods, but some do not specify measurements for the hood.  I'm not too worried about the robe construction since sizing varies from person to person, but if there's a "definitive" pattern for the hood, I'd sure like to see it. 

Here's what I've found online:

jawa_pattern.gif

pattern_rd.JPG

Thank you Nicholas......I just had to redo the thread as some of the photos you couldn't see.

Hello Brian, the first pattern is a very old and is not approvable and sadly members are still using it, I have tried to mention this on a couple of sites but to no avail.

The 2nd pattern you have up I have never seen before but it would be unlikely for an adult maybe a child, but there is no fabric large enough to cope with the pattern. 

Please check my thread out as Nicholas pointed out, and I am more than happy to answer any questions so please PM me and we do love to see Members Build threads.

Good luck

MJ

I drew up this basic pattern for my hood:
JawaHoodPattern%202.jpg

certainly not definitive but it works! :)

I actually followed the original pattern but made it slightly larger and sewed the back at a bit of an angle to end in more of a point.  However, my front fastens closer to the bottom to eliminate the flap.  I sewed long strips at the fasten area to achieve the wraparound effect, which is more accurate.

Additionally, instead of a coat hanger like some used, the opening of my hood is lined with airline tubing, easily found in pet supplies with the fish tanks:

41p9JJO4ZHL._SY400_.jpg

I eventually sewed the hood directly to the robe, eliminating any undergarments sticking out from underneath.

1047867_627752667235425_2099095707_o.jpg

11428025_10206013201427786_6724670896926

On right: 10689551_10206013201667792_2779726751536

1 person likes this

Hi Brian,

I have my own approved Jawa costume but don't like how my hood looks like. I'm thinking about remaking it again or, if possible, fixing it. 

The way you wraparound the hood with strips looks so good!! That's how I want it done. I once had strips too but took them off, because somehow I couldn't wraparound very well....

Would you mind showing me some reference photos of how you sew/attach strips to the hood? Thank you so much in advance!

The following is me without strips. Maybe the hood might need to be a bit longer :(

image.jpeg

Brian I wouldn't recommend sewing your hood to your robe, it  isn't approvable, Also it can be an issue when trooping in the heat. There are other ways to stop your under garments not to show. let me know if your interested :) 

Hi Aya

Your Hood needs be sewn on the bottom it isn't supposed to be frayed, Here are some photos of measurements.

IMG_7469_zpsirv9dklx.jpg 

Also the curve of the hood and long tails

IMG_6875_zpsoglhj5xd.jpg

Next two photos are from the movie set of Star wars, you can see the Jawas have hemmed hoods and the curve of the jawa's rim sitting down.  once you have redone your hood, practise in the mirror on how to tie.

The ties need to go under the hood and around the back, tie a light bow so its easy to get off in a hurry if your dying of heat, you can tuck the ties under the hood or let them drop down.

Desert_Plain_Jawa_zps3zkjljzy.png

483282_330020093756654_1923452604_n_zpsx

1 person likes this

Hi M.J.,

Thank you for your detailed response! I always appreciate your kind support. I've just checked the length of my hood and... it was only 35cm long :oops: No wonder it doesn't look right! 

Referring to your photo, I also realized that I was attaching strips to the hood in lengthways and that's why I couldn't tie well :oops:

Thanks to your comment and photos, I now know what I have to do. I'll go get cloth this weekend for remaking the hood!

Aya I'm glad  i Helped :)

Please don't hesitate to ask 

Good luck!

1 person likes this

My hood is frayed at the bottom and it is approved. Every jawa I've seen has frayed hoods as well as end of sleeves and bottom of the Robe. I believe the 501st reference says that as well. Rob

Hi Roberto :-), our CRL did have the misfortune of a photo with at hood frayed at the bottom it has been changed to the correct hood,  the 501st reference never stated it was to be frayed. 

The end of the sleeves are to be frayed neatly as the bottom of the robe is more stringy. 

All the Jawa's in the movie had their hoods hemmed. Here is a photo from ANH to show you none of them had theirs frayed at the bottom. Some have their ties tucked under the hood others had them hanging down.

IMG_9239_zpsjljahejc.jpg

MJ definitely knows her stuff! I followed her posts and input during my build. I was approved through 501st and Legion on first attempt with one minor correction which only involved adjusting how I had my hood sitting on my head!! 343ee10360cc94709872fd61c19ee5fd.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

looking good Leigh :) and thank you.