M.J.

" how to build a Jawa" (from Team Jawa)

With new photos  being available showing us the Hood is tired around the back making it the wrap around effect using the same fabric it is made of.

The CRL for Jawa is also asking for wrap around.

I have attached one of my current hoods with some left over fabric.

In the first photo you can see the tie and the fabric.

I did make the ties quite long at  around 35 inches ...that maybe a bit over kill but I haven't trooped in it yet and I can always shorten later. 

35687152925_cb995a8f58.jpg

35647807576_f3d585ed68.jpg

I choose the side of the fabric to make it look the frayed and at the same time I made sure it wouldn't fray anymore. Remember the movie Jawa's where not made to be worn and last for a few years of wear and tear.

Here is the end result, (photo above) make sure the ties are under the hood and wrap around the back.

This is to help those that have already made theirs or currently making one, its really easy and straight forward.

You can simply follow the pattern of the hood and then attach the two long strips as you would if it was the ties.

This is less wastage. 

• Like 2

great thread.  one question:  CRL says "no visible seams" ...can i presume that means all seams are internal as opposed to seams on a pair of jeans?  even with the force i'm not attaching two halves of jawa together "seamlessly" but i can certainly make it really close with the folds and hanging fabric... 

Hi ya Guys, I've been looking at other materials for the hood, I have found the cable you would use for the antenna, it wont bend or kink and its only 70 cents a meter. 

I place it around the rim, I've already changed the old hood and just replaced the new hood with it.

New Hood
35299309390_d0fea4c5b9.jpg

NOTE the cable doesn't go all the way around, it stops just before the ties.

• Like 1

Hi ya Mark, no seams meaning shoulders, and if your small enough arms. As per the movie costume.

but we know some are taller than others and some fabric isn't as wide either, you can see in this thread a Pattern I've made to help the tall and short of the it...

you will need to sew done the sides of the robe and under arms....ya dont need the force just a sewing Machine :P....

Any other Questions more than happy to help

Winter of 2013

Just to point out the new hood to the old......

Jawa on your left has the old hood with the plastic rim and bag bottom for support on the top, the Jawa on the right has the Antenna cord no support and the fabric ties.

The Plastic after some time did break, I replaced all my jawas with the antenna cord. Years later 2017 they are going great!

35658979131_df63f2e79c.jpg

• Like 2

Okay just got home from buying more supplies, got the goalie mask,black spray paint, black inner hood fabric, black thin see through fabrick for mask and E 6000 no odor spray glue. Got two rayovac lamp lights I think will work once covered with yellow plastic. I was at michaels and got the RIT dye 2 bottles each of dark brown and sunshine orange, that was all they had. Then I went to JoAnnes to buy more brown dye. Got home and realized I bought 2 cocoa brown after I laid them on the counter. So which is the correct brown, cocoa or dark brown?

Okay just got home from buying more supplies, got the goalie mask,black spray paint, black inner hood fabric, black thin see through fabrick for mask and E 6000 no odor spray glue. Got two rayovac lamp lights I think will work once covered with yellow plastic. I was at michaels and got the RIT dye 2 bottles each of dark brown and sunshine orange, that was all they had. Then I went to JoAnnes to buy more brown dye. Got home and realized I bought 2 cocoa brown after I laid them on the counter. So which is the correct brown, cocoa or dark brown?

Jen everyone mentions Dark brown.... Wash fabric before dying, with all fabric before sewing. 

Here in Australia, we are very lucky to have outstanding fabric shops and we have no need to dye our fabric.

There are a few threads in this forum talking about dying  http://www.kraytclan.com/forum/topic/984-dying-the-robes/

Great tutorial, Kelly.  Very informative for us newbies trying to plan our project.

You've posted the patterns for the hood and robe, but have you posted on any thread, the pattern for the bandoliers and holster?

Also, you mentioned the wires were problematic through time.  Do you have any pix of the damaged ones so that we can anticipate and plan around your learning curve?

Hi ya Jeff :) This thread is old and I do update as I find new ways of building things.

My hood has gone through plenty of changers, the plastic and wire etc, if someone sits on it or its held in a position it shouldn't for a long time just doesn't sit back nicely, you may see in a few photo's of older jawa's and see the hood just isn't right anymore. Its how you store and when you troop placing it down is when it gets its damage...mine was on its last legs, then someone sat on it the wrong way :(

So I found the antenna  cord been over a year and still going strong, fantastic to pack away as well. With many that I make easy to post too.

I've never made a Holster, though there are quite  a few members here that have, my bandolier pouches where made over 4 years ago since then members have  made even better ones which look pretty dam cool. Some sell and I believe some have placed their builds on this forum. 

excellent thread!!

my wife and son both want to build  jawas to join me on my troops (i'm an animated phase 1 clone)

this will definitely get us moving in the right direction!

Hi All, I am a TK but currently working on Jawa costumes for me and my wife. We were referred to this thread by our garrison as our existing hoods need some modding. Very useful info. But please bear with me as I probably have a stupid question. Are the fabric ties mentioned here basically are strips of the fabric of the same material as the hood that are sewn at the bottom of the hood on each side so it can be wrapped around the neck, then tied at the back?

Norman your correct!, you can cut the hood and ties together (no sewing to add them), though you will still need to sew the black liner and hem the hood, So its more cost effective and user friendly to "add" the ties to the bottom of the hood :) Once you've nearly finished.

Btw no question is stupid.

On 11-5-2012 at 1:19 PM, M.J. said:

UPdated Hood ...With Robe patterns.

Hood Size is for the Small to Med Jawa 

For the Larger just Add 2cm at a time, you will need more depth.

Length of Ties should remain the same at 87cm or 35 inches.

The Wire measurements are for around the hood, Remember to not place the wire where your going to sew the ties.

IMG_7469_zpsirv9dklx.jpg

Inside out showing the Velcro and Black lining.

IMG_7473_zpsdidju5kr.jpg

Please note when I made these patterns a few years ago, the fabric I was using was over 140cm Wide with no shrinkage.

you may find if most will have to add sleeves unless your the width of fabric across. 

f6a6033a-7f46-40a4-ac14-f6ccb6c9be8c_zps

These can also be sized down for our little Jawa's in our lives.
Any Questions please ask.

Note: fabric is 60 inches wide its just right for the smaller jawa like me, but for the taller Jawa you will have to cut out the sleeves seperate, on another part of the folded fabric.

one question for a new jawa costumer , what is ment with the clip near the opening for the head  ?

• Like 1

button up, I us a clasp clip. you need to make a slit about 4 inches down so your head can fit in and to button up at the top. I will look at taking a photo tomorrow to show you. :) 

I've just made a childs one, so it may look a tad small, though this should help. I try and make it so the neck isn't wide as you can see your undergarment if the hood doesn't cover it. 

I make a small slit down then to close it I use clips, the the slit gets hidden by the hood. Make sure you zig zag around a couple of times so it wont fray. 

35711548846_50b3480b5d.jpg%5B

So sorry members just trying to get my photos back, it seems photobucket isnt playing nice

UPdated Hood ...With Robe patterns.

Hood Size is for the Small to Med Jawa 
Please note the paper pattern is an old.
35686428045_a2a61bfb9c.jpg

For the Larger just Add 2cm at a time, you will need more depth.
35647088386_66c7779db1.jpg

Length of Ties should remain the same at 87cm or 35 inches.

The Wire measurements are for around the hood, Remember to not place the wire where your going to sew the ties.

Inside out showing the Velcro and Black lining.
35647074976_563a370691.jpg

Please note when I made these patterns a few years ago, the fabric I was using was over 140cm Wide with no shrinkage.
you may find if most will have to add sleeves unless your the width of fabric across. 
35688428686_ce0c2ac50f.jpg

These can also be sized down for our little Jawa's in our lives.
Any Questions please ask.

Note: fabric is 60 inches wide its just right for the smaller jawa like me, but for the taller Jawa you will have to cut out the sleeves seperate, on another part of the folded fabric.
Hi there M.J Could you perhaps make a drawing for me in cm :) I'm making a jawa costume for My son for christmas :)
Best regards
Nicki from denmark :)

Sendt fra min VTR-L29 med Tapatalk

Nick, I'm about to make another thread, keeping this one, as it would be too hard to rework it. 

It will be solely on monks clothe and I'm going to show how to make a kiddies one.

If you can PM your son's size from Neck to ground, and from neck to tip of fingers I can give you a rough pattern for you.

I've made a number of kiddy ones.