M.J.

" how to build a Jawa" (from Team Jawa)

44 posts in this topic

Updated 2015.... this thread was made quite some time ago and I will start updating it so please keep that in mind when reading

Greetings,
Members this is a copy from an Australian Forum so it may have reference to Australian stores and this thread is over a year old I would like to update this if Krayt Clan wishes to keep it :)
Material - rough looking: Furniture covering fabric does the job if you can find the right colour, you need the weight for the gown to hang and to look like a garment made for the harsh environment, don't go down the hessian road.You can also buy Monks cloth on line, please beware it will need dying and check the thread count.

Monks cloth you will need to pre-wash 

Cotton based Fabric will also need to Pre-wash...

You will have shrinkage  with both fabric's, wash "BEFORE" cutting 

Colour - brown or rust brown, watch you don't go too red, find out the fabric others in your Garrison first stick with the same colouring so you wont stick out like a sore thumb,

Amount:size, most are around 5 foot, some Furniture fabric's can be wide 150cm, Monks cloth isn't as wide around 120cm others are around the same 120cm, to start off your looking at around 4 to 5 metres depending on height, your fabric is going to be folded over (doubled) so there would be no sewing needed for shoulders all you need to do is make a hole for the neck with a press stud this will be hidden by the hood, don't forget to have the frayed look, on the sleeves and hem (see post below on how to fray sleeves). If you need to add Sleeves  for the taller Jawas so there will be a seam at the shoulder... the pattern is on this page just down a few posts.

5612287753_81d8cecec7.jpg

Below is cut out of the jawa with seams at the shoulders. keep the seam on the shoulder NOT down the arm.

25022012440.jpg

To give your jawa Sleeves the perfect frayed look like the movies. Cut your sleeves so the ends are on the edge of the fabric, trim the edge as to open up knitted lines. Start to pull the fabric threads that are across, make sure you do this before you sew the sleeves together. You can do this with all types of fabrics. (note there are two different fabric's in the photos)

IMG_6870_zpsepsyw239.jpg

IMG_6858_zps3jp7pn9k.jpg

There is no need to make a sew line at the end of the sleeves, the sewing down the sleeve is sufficient enough, from it stop fraying.

IMG_6872_zpszqixxfji.jpg

If you feel over the head isnt your style you may have an opening down the middle but it must be off centre, I used press studs for this JAWA suit. This is an old Jawa I had made using the wrong Pattern as there are seems on shoulders.
5612888748_7fbe52859f.jpg

Paints- I used sandy colour House paint, remember the Jawas are on a desert planet. Be carful not to use any black or dark Brown, in all the movies I've never seen black or brown on the Jawa's robes

Hoods- Are to be separate, with Fabric ties, tied around the back.
IMG_6875_zpsoglhj5xd.jpg

Lining
black material, any cheap cotton fabric, I found mine on the cut off table half price, it doesn't need to be completely inside just around the sides that are visible.

IMG_6855_zps0zoic6rh.jpg

Shape-Place Antenna cord around the rim to give the opening support and appearance. (see posts below) 

MaskThere are a number of ways to approach this but here are a few different types to add to the confusion. The Mask its self I used a cardboard (paper) costume party mask do it your self painting, they are hard to come by. I then sprayed it Black,  I have also seen hocky masks used great idea ! 
Lights We used torches,  With the torches I glued yellow plastic cut out rounds to make the light yellow, I just used a glue gun and lids from any drink container and cut them to size.

18082012637_zpsef578ab7.jpg

Covering: I brought some black crep (mesh) material from a fabric store, this isn't cheap, buy a metre you may need more later, I did, While your there check to see how much you can see through it.
5612405439_11a605b777.jpg
I measured the length (make sure its not to long as it will dag around the bottom) and sides, make sure you have enough to sew right around so it wont fray. I folded top twice as it will be hot glued to the mask around the top you may need to fold and glue the side's a little but wear it first and decide later. The bottom you need to make a wide hem to thread rope through, this will tie around the back of your neck hide the rope under your hood.

Part Two of this is over the next page as only could post so many photos soo,,,,,please turn over :) for more of how to build a JAWA!!

1 person likes this

do you have a method to get the really pointy hood? I am a super novice sewer but ive been fooling around with having a living room display.

Its the thickness of your Fabric and where you place your head, as you can see in this picture we have the plastic insert keeping the hood from falling forward and saging and our heads are back a bit further.

I have used other fabric and just check your thickness.

GregAumann-9460.jpg

1 person likes this

5612287759_b546393696.jpg

I used the ruler to show the width of the sleeves.

Fantastic writeup, this should be really helpful for new members. Since the US is on the English measurement system rulers here are 12in (30cm). Is that the same for metric system countries like AUS?

1 person likes this

I have placed a couple of Photos for the larger Jawa if anyone has any questions .....Please PM me.

UPdated Hood ...With Robe patterns.

Hood Size is for the Small to Med Jawa 

For the Larger just Add 2cm at a time, you will need more depth.

Length of Ties should remain the same at 87cm or 35 inches.

The Wire measurements are for around the hood, Remember to not place the wire where your going to sew the ties.

IMG_7469_zpsirv9dklx.jpg

Inside out showing the Velcro and Black lining.

IMG_7473_zpsdidju5kr.jpg

Please note when I made these patterns a few years ago, the fabric I was using was over 140cm Wide with no shrinkage.

you may find if most will have to add sleeves unless your the width of fabric across. 

f6a6033a-7f46-40a4-ac14-f6ccb6c9be8c_zps

These can also be sized down for our little Jawa's in our lives.
Any Questions please ask.

Note: fabric is 60 inches wide its just right for the smaller jawa like me, but for the taller Jawa you will have to cut out the sleeves seperate, on another part of the folded fabric.

3 people like this

wish we had this when i had to sew mine haha, I didnt open the bottom up so its a tiny bit awkward to walk in :(

I wish I hadn't used this one and had went with the tk409 pattern.

I like that this flares out, but it just didn't look right around the chest on my nephew. Fortunately we were able to get a little creative and size it down a little bit to fit my niece, the chest works better and it still has a bit of flare at the bottom. I still have to make the hood, but it should be done in a couple weeks

hi guys I made a simple Pattern hope this helps our members.

Jawa_1.jpg

Jawa_2.jpg

These can also be sized down for our little Jawa's in our lives.

Any Questions please ask.

Note: fabric is 60 inches wide its just right for the smaller jawa like me, but for the taller Jawa you will have to cut out the sleeves seperate, on another part of the folded fabric.

What width did you leave for the shorter patterns chest? or is it automatically 12" (16+16+12=44). I'm not much of a seamstress.

2 people like this

Mark my Jawa across the chest is 26"..... you can make it smaller just depending on who your making it for.

I'm just under 5 foot, I have made one for a young lad and adjust to his size.

who are you making it for? and how tall are they....getting there chest measurements may help you too. Just PM for anymore Questions ..I really dont mind at all. here to help.

I'm actually making 2 for my sons. I have twins. They are seven, almost eight. They are fairly tall. One is about 4'5" and the other is 4'7" (they are not identical). I want to make them a little big so they don't grow out of them right away, but not too big so they can't wear them right away. Thanks for the great pattern. You posts have been a big help. I wish I had seen your pattern before I made my tusken robes.

Mark I'm 4'11 so my pattern is perfect and being AG you can hem the bottom, and bring down as they grow, quite a few GA here in Austrialia have done that.

On our TAG site we have how to make the mask lights too in my thread over in our forum if you need help, let me know and we can get you over there to score a look.

Thank you for all of the help. The hem is a great idea. I'm going to start the mask this weekend. If I need help you will hear from me.

I was asked by quite a few members in my home Garrison wanting a closer look on how I made the hood so here you go

Sew your hood down the back and turn it out so the outside is showing.
Measure and cut your black fabric and pin it to the outside of your hood as per photo

29072012585.jpg

Sew the black fabric to your jawa cloth 

IMG_6851_zpsrejlyfcg.jpg

Make sure its inside out so your seam is on the outside of your hood.

IMG_6852_zps6iaeooyh.jpg

Pin  your Cord into place on your hood 

IMG_6860_zps65sf0gxo.jpg

IMG_6863_zps1lufddct.jpg

Change the foot of the sewing machine to the Zipper, remember to use black cotton for the top and brown for the bobbin. At the end of the Antenna cord  I would just do a litlle tac so it wont slip down, here is what it looks like done on your hood.

IMG_6866_zpsxeh87hln.jpg

Before sewing on the hood insert, measure and pin your velcro I had it around the around 20cm in from the front. The other part of the velcro will be attached to your mask, this helps keeping the hood in place and on in strong winds or a cheeky child. Once Velcro is sewn in, I hand sew the black fabric to the hood. You do this the same as you would taking up a pair of pants as not to see the sewing line on the other side of the hood.

IMG_6878_zpsmends7iu.jpg

IMG_6877_zpsxhrmsipg.jpg

1 person likes this

Thought I would add this tutorial, It might help some one.

Got these paper masks from ebay

jawa5013.jpg

LED torches from Kmart

jawa5014.jpg

yellow scrapers from hardware, good plastic and thick.

jawa5015.jpg

2 x AA battery holders, sliding switch and a 150 ohm resistor from electronics store

jawa5016.jpg

Remove the old elastic strap and replace it with a better one

jawa5017.jpg

Wider and stronger elastic strap

jawa5018.jpg

Cut a slot to fit the elastic strap through and hot glue it in place

jawa5019.jpg

jawa5020.jpg

jawa5021.jpg

Mark and cut the bottom of the mask off as you only need the top section to hold the eyes.

jawa5022.jpg

Mark 25mm up from led end and cut off with a hacksaw. You can cut it closer but watch the circuit board

jawa5025.jpg

jawa5026.jpg

Clean them up on some sand paper, remove the spring with a soldering iron.

Solder two wires onto the circuit board, center ring is positive and outer ring is negative.

I cut two slots with a hacksaw for the wires to come out then filled the bottom up with hot glue.

jawa5029.jpg

Mark and cut out 4 yellow disc's, I used a coin for template, then glue 2 each onto the lenses with super glue.

jawa5031.jpg

Wiring diagram for lights.

Jawaeyeswirediagram.jpg

Hot glue the lights under the eyes.

Hot glue the battery holders on, left one wires facing down and right one wires facing up.

Then glue the switch on top of the right battery holder.

Follow the wire diagram, you will have to extend some wires.

jawa5038.jpg

Once you have joined up all the wires, test it.

Mask up the lenses and holders and spray 2 coats of black paint and your done.

jawa5040.jpg

jawa5041.jpg

Enjoy

nn009.jpg

3 people like this

Michael thank you :)

Great picts. Very helpful. Thank you again MJ.

Great tutorial M.J., Lisa and I are following it now. We're going to make a few Jawa's.

Plus we need to finally make GA approvable costumes for the kids.

Thanks for taking the time to put this up, it's a great resource for us members that live in remote parts.

Michael & Lisa

We'll post so photos when we're done.

Furniture covering material is good, you need the weight for the gown to hang and to look like a garment made for the harsh environment, don't go down the hessian road.

Colour - brown or rust brown, watch you don't go too red, most Jawa's in the 501st are brown as the material is easily found try and stick with the same colouring so you wont stick out like a sore thumb,

Amount: size is a big issue, most are around 5 foot, Furniture fabric are quite wide to start of with so your looking at around 4 to 5 metres depending on height, your fabric is going to be folded over (doubled) so there would be no sewing needed for shoulders all you need to do is make a hole for the neck with a press stud this will be hidden by the hood, don't forget to have the frayed look, on the sleeves and hem.

Very helpful! Thanks for the details and including the photos. I can't wait to get started on my robe. Getting material soon, next step...sewing!!

Part 2 ON HOW to build a JAWA....I had to change this as the photos from the front page you could not see.....

Attaching hood to mask: You will find attaching the hood to the mask a must, I used velcro for this (see pic below) this will stop hood from flying off in the wind and from falling forward when walking, People tend to try and pull off your hood also (its happend to me more than a few times) being Velcrod they will find it hard to do so. Just hand sew both parts, don't forget to measure where to put each piece the picture below should help where I put mine.
5612888734_f95344f10a.jpg

New Mask This is the new mask We have just made less wire's, I haven't worn yet or finished, you can see how I have thickened the elastic for around the back so it won't hurt my ears and I have already sewn the black mesh with the velcro ready. The lights still don't have the yellow plastic glued on just yet. the control is on the side of the mask.
5618351171_022d9a2484.jpg

Note: with wireing Panda and I did alot of trooping (counting Science Works just under 100) the wiring didn't hold up as well as we thought so make sure the control isn't pulling on the mask or drops down, the weight will in time cause some little problems, learn from our mistakes ...we are still trying  :P

Bandoleer:The Material I used was the vinyl your able to get from spotlight, the pin's I thought where a little harder to find but found those at lincraft.
I had to make another pattern (think I lost the first) . They are very simple and you may even improve on them, these can be a base for you.

I layed out the Vinyl on the table and measured up 8 bandoleers, once cut out and before you sew you must do the slit in the front otherwise it might be a little difficult later, then just sew up the side's, beware the top has to be that little bit larger in width to fold over the front, if its the same size it just doesn't look right found that one out the hard way.
5682761024_f719227c56.jpg

Total height 23 cm width 10cm, make sure the front panel is 7cm or smaller than the back and top panel as you need fold the top over.

To attach the pockets to the belt I had sewn a piece of vinyl on the back to slide the belt through you may want to do this before sewing up the side's but need to measure the size of your belt. I did find they slipped up and down, I now have tape and as you see I stapled them down, I believe I was in a hurry when I did that.  :D
5682352233_d130ae69fe.jpg

I made them look a little oily and dirty by spray painting and smering the paint before it just dried.

I found the belt from the aussie disposal store, the gun holster is a new one I just spray painted it the same colour as the bandoleers and gave it too the dirty look.
5682195275_091d1ca079.jpg

Boots:I Brought a pair of cloth boots that where going cheap at the end of winter sale, it didnt matter what colour they where but having a zip up the side does help.
Material used, I scored what was going cheap on the cut off tables as long as it was brown and looked the part. Cut into strips, then I hand sewn each strip onto the boot make sure the material overlaps the other so you can't see that you have sewn them on (as in Picture) I didn't wish to use glue as I know with age glue isnt kind, I can unpick the boot at a later stage if I wish with no damage. These boots are over 2 years old and still look good. You will need the boots to be for your 501st approval.

5612287729_083498a1a6.jpg

Under Garments: Long sleeve "Skins" or a spencer/skivvy if you can't afford Skin's, Black loose pants or long skirt make sure they are loose you will get hot. Balaclava for under the hood you don't have to worry about your neck as that will be covered by the hood. Gloves woolly winter type.

5612287699_3d402a6e7f_z.jpg

Summarise: You wont need the long sleeve if you use black socks (picture below). Wear cotton shorts, and put a double layer of mesh on your mask where you can see your face and you wont need to wear the balaclava. Even cut down to one Bandoleer if your looking at walking in 36 deg heat.

5612888742_ed19242d66_z.jpg

Part 3  on how to build a JAWA....again I had to separate because of too many photos

For the Larger Jawa in your Life!
This shows you I just needed to attach the arms and where I did attach, if you placed the sleeves lower down they will be quite noticable. As you may notice I couldn't get the whole garment in the picture its a tad large.
25022012440.jpg

In this photo I made sure the fraying of the material is on the edge of the sleeve its a little bit of work but in the end you have no need to worrie about finishing off and extra fraying. I doubled over the fabric so I had no need to sew back to front as you can see and just made a slit where the head pops into. This is the fabric I used back to front.
25022012446.jpg

Here is one of the Jawa's I have just finished a month ago (Jan 2012) for the larger Jawa (Friend), as you can see the seems are hard to see on the arms.
9697Jawa-01Front.jpg

Keeping post for future update on making the robes and hood

1 person likes this

updating 2013 

Son's boots glued on....not seen here in the photo but did a major paint job on them as well

12052012496_zpsf8a81255.jpg

Another one of my mask's ....I placed foam on forehead to keep it away from face and that I can breath better, works wonders! also you can see the thick elastic and the "T" I make for my head. 

foam_zpsb30e53b5.jpg