DZ0895 Michael

Real reference pictures

Not once have I seen a reference image that shows fur on the face, yet it is still considered a 'screen accurate' option. Why is that? Wouldn't that be like making a Darth Yoda just because someone thought it would be cool to throw it in a comic book somewhere? If we are to hold Jawas to the same standard that Boba Fett and Vader are held to, shouldn't we be looking to have the most accurate information? All Jawa images and merchandise show a face wrapped in black cloth, not furry. This may have been pointed out somewhere else, but it just seems like a viable argument. 

I think the fur idea originally came from these photos but from what I understand the furry hands were never seen on screen.

I believe the original faces were cloth and gaffers tape. 

post-46-0-20855200-1365903578_thumb.jpg

post-46-0-93100700-1365903599_thumb.jpg

post-46-0-87051000-1365903612_thumb.jpg

I understand the furr on hands because they were seen as one Jawa touched Luke's speeder, but there is none as far as the face, yet this is still considered screen accurate for it to be on the face. I see that as similar to allowing a Darth Maul costume without face tattoos. Just saying, if we are going accurate, lets get it right. Yes all original ref pics where faces wrapped and taped. All the Jawa merchandise reflects that as well.

HI ya Justin, there are so many photos another is Tape all over the mask

jawa3.jpg

The same goes for all the gaffer tape on the TK's in the movie and the splits in the armor.

but we all know these are built from a shoe string bugget and never intended to last troop upon troop a few years down the track.

Jawa's we all know are Rat like creatures to which George wanted them to be.

Here is another photo of Masks looking a tad worse for wear again if we went screen accurate we would look cheap and not even remote to the movie, we cannot film our jawas and then show them, we are there personally upclose so we have to make ours suitable for that environment. I understand your questioning, we all need to look at each costume to how it was intended to the movie character. It wouldn't be very prudent of us to say "Tape" as one of the approval process. In the movie only the eyes are seen ....no tape no shroud ....but we are Rat like ... It is up to each member some are more passionate than others:) I hope this helps with your inquiry.

jawas1234_edit_crop.jpg

• Like 2

It does sort of answer the question. But Wouldn't the merchandise (which is made to look a specific way and not just on a low budget) show the way Lucas origanilly intended? I just see no precedence in the fur on the face ruling. Yes our costumes need to hold up to the wear and tear of trooping and pass the challenge of being up close to those viewing the mask. It is very much like beating a dead horse, I know, I still stand by the idea of not taking liberties with the costumes and its representations. What it is in novels (without picture reference) and what it is on ALL the movie stills, merchandise, and reference material depicts a wrapped face. While, Lucas may have cut corners in order to save $$ in filming, the point was still there. We are the 501st who pride ourselves on having the very best screen accurate costumes we can. We can still have the closest look (even if that means we are copying the look of black wrapped tape or cloth) and still be strong enough to handle a troop. There is a big difference to looking like what it really was under the mask and what Lucas wanted it to look like. Judging by the level of detail on the canteena creatures, if he wanted Jawas to have furry faces, they would have. If we allow people to take liberties, we might as well be the Rebel Legion several years ago allowing bathrobe Jedi. I understand many people view the Jawa as just a background character that doesn't deserve this level of detail, but it really should. If anyone has an actual photo of a furry faced Jawa that is a Lucas image, I will gladly drop this debate at that, but until such reference emerges I will still say furry faced Jawas are not accurate. If I were to be asked to approved members, I would hold them to the same standard we hold other characters to. The 501st rewrote the TK requirements based on something as simple as a button color, I would think we can do a little better for the FIRST alien creatures that are seen in the franchise. 

I have recently taken some screen caps from the Blurays, and as I have not seen them else where I thought I woudl share them here.

For high quality version of all the images, you can download the file here (89MB).

Episode 1 (on screen during pod race)

Episode%201_01.jpg

Episode%201_02.jpg

Episode%201_03.jpg

Episode%201_04.jpg

Episode%201_05.jpg

One thing I have noticed are the hoods, they look a bit different to the ones in episode 4.

Episode 2 (on screen during Anikin trying to find the Sandpeople)

Episode%202_01.jpg

Episode%202_02.jpg

Episode%202_03.jpg

Episode 4 (from extras)

Episode%204_01.jpg

Episode%204_02.jpg

Episode%204_03.jpg

Episode%204_04.jpg

Episode%204_05.jpg

Episode%204_06.jpg

Episode%204_07.jpg

Episode%204_08.jpg

Smiles, Izzy

• Like 2

On 7/3/2016 at 7:20 PM, sylverbard said:

could be e-11 scopes.

They look like they are carved from wood, so I'd rule out scopes (although the basic shape IS close).

On 10.9.2016 at 4:12 AM, sylverbard said:

or game calls.  any luck sourcing them?  or sculpting and making resin versions?

They are called "Apostel". Some are quite expensive if you buy them with a belt. But you could for example source them here:http://www.outfit4events.de/eur/produkt/7773-holzbuchse-fur-schiesspulver-sog-apostel/  or  http://www.re-enactmentsupplies.co.uk/?route=product/product&product_id=104  or http://goingbang.com/product/full-bandolier-with-oil-bottle/

• Like 4