Thanks! I ended up pretty much going all out, and making a costume that's darned close to 501st approvable (I think... I took some liberties since this is obviously only for Galactic Academy and for infant safety).
I took pics of the whole process so I may as well post them here for the benefit of others.
Step One: Mockup
I have a pile of old undershirts that I periodically cut up into rags. Since they're stretchy, they're not 100% perfect pattern cloth, but for something simple like this, they do just fine. And I didn't have to drive anywhere or spend any money, LOL So I literally looked at the thread with the actual general pattern for Jawa costumes, and eyeballed it onto t-shirt fabric. (I even sewed some smaller pieces together to make a bigger piece, since my undershirts are hardly as side as your average bolt fabric)
Step Two: Sew Mockup
Yup. Sew the mockup and cut a neck hole. (not much more to say about that!)
Step Three: Test the Pattern
Test on a (nominally) willing subject, to make sure the size is in the right ballpark.
Step Four: Pattern the Hat.
Do the same for the hat. I used fish tank airline hose (vinyl tubing) for the front hoop. Nice and soft for baby. Not pictured is the size test... the hat was a little small, so I added an extra inch in two directions for the final cut, which worked out well.
Step Five: Turn Mockup into Pattern
Tear out the temp seams from the mockup and lay out the "pattern".
Step Six: Lay out the Pattern
Lay the pattern onto the pre-washed (twice) and dried (twice) monkscloth (again, the hood dimensions were kinda eyeballed):
Step Seven: Lay out the Pattern to the Liner.
Repeat the process (lay out and cut the pattern) for the pre-washed and dried inner liner (cheap plain black cotton broadcloth):
Dimensions of the final cut pieces, prior to sewing, for reference. Banana for scale.
Step Eight: Pin and stitch the liner fabric onto the Monkscloth.
Step Nine: Sew the Robes
Essentially follow regular Jawa robe construction, found elsewhere on the site. No seams on the top shoulders.
Step Ten: Sew the Hood
Essentially follow standard Jawa hood construction, except no ties. (Safety issue, with an infant. I'll snap it to the robes with hand-sewn surface-mount press snaps)
Step Eleven: Dye the Fabric
I used the standard Dye ratio for Rit that I've seen written all over this site: 2:1 ratio of Dark Brown to Sunshine Orange. Given the small amount of fabric (barely 1/2 lb) I used 2 oz of the orange and 4 oz of the brown. Follow normal instructions to rinse clear and wash and dry the final product one more time.
And here's the final outfit, sans accessories:
Step Twelve: The Hat (Mask)
Obviously I can't put a mask on an infant, so for this use, I sewed a beanie cap out of soft black fleece, and simply superglued some yellow fleece "eyes" to the hat. I didn't really photograph sewing the hat, since it was basically trial and error to make one that fit the baby's head nicely. A simple rectangle of fabric, folded in half, with sewn sides, produces the hat.
Step Thirteen: The Bandolier
I had initially thought I might use my actual vintage Swedish bandolier, but once it was laid out it was clearly too big.
My friend who inspired this project made his bandolier out of cheap pleather, and glued it all together. I had no pleather, and the fabric shop nearby only seemed to have really thin vinyl (suitable for stretch pants, not mock leather projects), so I went full overkill and built a real scale leather bandolier with functional (if tiny) pouches.
I found the bandolier pouch pattern posted on this site, and experimented with printing it at various scaled sizes until I found one that seemed visually correct for an appropriate thickness leather band (50%, onto Letter size paper). I had some old leather in my leather kit that I never really found a great use for, so it was nicely aged already. (I'll probably age it a bit more eventually) I cut the belt (about 1.5" or 1.75", I forget which) and the pouches, and started assembling them.
I did cheat on the pouch construction. I used Zip ties through the holes to make the pouches, and to connect them to the belt (through tiny slits in the belt)! All invisible, and lets me make changes and adjustments if needed.
Here's the final bandolier. It just closes with velcro at the end, so I don't have to worry about a hard metal buckle digging into the baby.
If you've read this far, you're looking for some payoff, so here's the final product (the hat isn't snapped into place here, but otherwise, this is it!):
The brown socks aren't visible, btw.
I hope this helps someone else make some nifty Jawa robes for their wee ones, as well.
And now, to find out how to submit this for the Galactic Academy...